Pasty Butt in chicks

Well, I tried it with a syringe and tried to give some to the chick who wasn't doing so hot. She liked it but wasn't too interested. I will say she perked up after about 20 minutes, but still not doing as great. I tried to see if it was me and grabbed a healthy chick. Gave it one taste and it tried to pull the syringe out of my hand. It's nice to see my other chicks doing well, but I'm really counting on this little buff to pull through. I have 7 buffs in the brooder. 2 of them are smaller including little miss. The other 4 are THRIVING. The other smaller one is doing fine too. I'm considering going out and buying a light, so I don't have to move the plate to see how my chicks are doing. Every time I do that it throws off the temperature.

They are 6 days old now. One is acting funny, she's skinny and weaker than the others. Had runny stools yesterday (still eating and drinking). No coccidia that I know of. (no bloody stools). But I'm picking up some Corid just in case. How often do y'all have failure to thrive chicks?
At 6 days it wouldn't be coccidiosis (but never hurts to have Corid on hand anyhow so keep it).

Since you got them from a feed store you don't know the condition the chicks arrived in, like I don't know where Hoover's is in relation to your store, nor the travel time or route the chicks took to get there - there can be higher losses in winter because of the cold (and in summer when it gets very hot). So quite possibly these aren't failure to thrive cases, it could be that some of the chicks are being hit harder by shipping stress.

I don't have experience with Hydro-hen though I'm reading the use instructions right now... should be fine for occasional use but since it's an electrolyte solution the chicks should have plain water as well, or you should use it in moderation. I use Poultry Nutri-Drench instead.

At 6 days it wouldn't be coccidiosis (but never hurts to have Corid on hand anyhow so keep it).

Since you got them from a feed store you don't know the condition the chicks arrived in, like I don't know where Hoover's is in relation to your store, nor the travel time or route the chicks took to get there - there can be higher losses in winter because of the cold (and in summer when it gets very hot). So quite possibly these aren't failure to thrive cases, it could be that some of the chicks are being hit harder by shipping stress.

I don't have experience with Hydro-hen though I'm reading the use instructions right now... should be fine for occasional use but since it's an electrolyte solution the chicks should have plain water as well, or you should use it in moderation. I use Poultry Nutri-Drench instead.
I’m in Virginia so Hoovers is a HIKE.

Back
Top Bottom