day old chick with purple swollen leg/foot - lethargic - not eating/drinking

redvespa90

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
This little RIR chick was all alone suffering in the bin at TSC so I scooped it up and brought it home. It appears that its foot/leg is broken or very malformed. The other foot doesn't appear to be usable either.

Most important question - Is there hope for this little guy? What can I do to help him eat/drink? Is there anything I can do for him?
The hurt foot is always pulled back into that position.

It looks like the circulation is compromised. Is the leg warm or cold? I think the little thing must be in serious pain. I guess if you think the leg is salvagable, you can try to splint it. Otherwise, I would cull. Sorry.

It looks like the circulation is compromised. Is the leg warm or cold? I think the little thing must be in serious pain. I guess if you think the leg is salvagable, you can try to splint it. Otherwise, I would cull. Sorry.

The leg is warm. I tried to gently manipulate it, and the chick can pull it back.

Have you tried to just do a gentle massage to encourage circulation? I'd try it maybe 10 times a day for a few days and see what transpires. Just a thought...

Have you tried to just do a gentle massage to encourage circulation? I'd try it maybe 10 times a day for a few days and see what transpires. Just a thought...

Is it for sure a circulation issue, and not a broken leg? at the knee joint is goes appear to be crushed - could that be the culprit?

Also - what do I do to get him to eat/drink?

Well, a warm leg is a good sign, meaing the blood vessels are intact. I would offer the chick some scrambled eggs, maybe watery ones, to get some fluid in. Or some chick starter made into a mash. Maybe some vitamins in her water. I guess you could try to splint the hock/elbow in a good position so that if heals fused, at least the chick can walk. Keep us posted.

Well, a warm leg is a good sign, meaing the blood vessels are intact. I would offer the chick some scrambled eggs, maybe watery ones, to get some fluid in. Or some chick starter made into a mash. Maybe some vitamins in her water. I guess you could try to splint the hock/elbow in a good position so that if heals fused, at least the chick can walk. Keep us posted.
Unfortunately little Lefty died this afternoon. I successfully splinted the curled toes, but couldn't splint the very badly injured leg. I was giving pedialyte and runny scrambled eggs. The little guy just didn't have it in him. I'm glad his suffering is over. I couldn't let it go on for much longer.

Aw, at least you tried. I have to say, it looked pretty miserable in your pic.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom