Day old duckling is sick....I think

elizabethfaith

Hatching
Dec 4, 2015
I've just hatched six ducklings, most popped out yesterday. This morning I found one keeping its eye closed. On inspection its eye appeared cloudy and a little gunky. There was another with the same condition. So I removed them all from the brood box, cleaned it out and gave them all a warm bath. The eyes cleared up and for most of the day there has been no sign of illness. Now however, one has its eye closed again, though there isn't any sign of discharge, and its peeping with distress whenever it is slightly disturbed.

Should I be as worried as I am? I know young ducklings sleep a lot. But this little guy stands out as especially frail.

I've just hatched six ducklings, most popped out yesterday. This morning I found one keeping its eye closed. On inspection its eye appeared cloudy and a little gunky. There was another with the same condition. So I removed them all from the brood box, cleaned it out and gave them all a warm bath. The eyes cleared up and for most of the day there has been no sign of illness. Now however, one has its eye closed again, though there isn't any sign of discharge, and its peeping with distress whenever it is slightly disturbed. 

Should I be as worried as I am? I know young ducklings sleep a lot. But this little guy stands out as especially frail. 

@elizabethfaith , welcome to BYC! Have you seen it poop yet? Is it drinking? What does it's umbilicus look like? Did it hatch unassisted?

-Kathy

Yes it hatched unassisted. It is drinking, not sure about pooping. Can't see anything of the umbilicus, but a short, stiff thread. It has some gunk in its eye again, and while all the others are running around it just sits their peeping.

Yes it hatched unassisted. It is drinking, not sure about pooping. Can't see anything of the umbilicus, but a short, stiff thread. It has some gunk in its eye again, and while all the others are running around it just sits their peeping.

Is it warm enough?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom