Day old ducklings...feed question

Dace

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
My new Campbells are coming this week with some chicks. The lady at the feed store told me that I could start the ducklings on the chick starter, but I read here not to start them on medicated feed which is what I bought.

I guess I need to go back and get some Flock Raiser...just wanted to double check here before I go spend more money! Can someone clarify?

No medicated feed ducks eat more than chicks and it could cause them to overdose on the medicine. You can feed them unmedicated chick starter. I use the purine starter/grower with mine.

Don't feed ducklings medicated starter. Start them out on unmedicated starter. After about 4 weeks I start adding oats to the feed to lower the protein level.

As long as the only medication in the chick starter is Amprolium it's fine to feed them. I've raised many, many ducklings on Medicated Purina Start & Grow. Ducklings also can get cocci and die quickly from it. Amprolium is a preventative against that happening.

Quote:
Purina Start & Grow is exactly what I have. I just looked and it does not say what type of med is in the feed....or perhaps I am too blind to see it
roll.png

Quote:
Purina Start & Grow is exactly what I have. I just looked and it does not say what type of med is in the feed....or perhaps I am too blind to see it
roll.png

It should say on the white tag on the end of the bag.

Got it....yes, that is the only active ingredient.

So it is safe for my ducklings then?

That's what I've always fed mine. That's what I'll be feeding again this spring. That's what the person who helped me greatly when I got my first calls recommended and she's been raising calls a very long time.

:rolleyes:My ducks did just fine on the same medicated feed. The biggest trick is to keep them from getting themselves and everything else wet! Big messers in the water. Not suposed to be soaked for so many weeks...thats hard...they can get chilled.

Back
Top Bottom