1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day old ducklings...feed question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dace, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Dace

Dace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    My new Campbells are coming this week with some chicks. The lady at the feed store told me that I could start the ducklings on the chick starter, but I read here not to start them on medicated feed which is what I bought.

I guess I need to go back and get some Flock Raiser...just wanted to double check here before I go spend more money! Can someone clarify?

2. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    No medicated feed ducks eat more than chicks and it could cause them to overdose on the medicine. You can feed them unmedicated chick starter. I use the purine starter/grower with mine.

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Don't feed ducklings medicated starter. Start them out on unmedicated starter. After about 4 weeks I start adding oats to the feed to lower the protein level.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

As long as the only medication in the chick starter is Amprolium it's fine to feed them. I've raised many, many ducklings on Medicated Purina Start & Grow. Ducklings also can get cocci and die quickly from it. Amprolium is a preventative against that happening.

5. Dace

Dace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    Quote:Purina Start & Grow is exactly what I have. I just looked and it does not say what type of med is in the feed....or perhaps I am too blind to see it [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Purina Start & Grow is exactly what I have. I just looked and it does not say what type of med is in the feed....or perhaps I am too blind to see it [​IMG]

It should say on the white tag on the end of the bag.

7. Dace

Dace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    Got it....yes, that is the only active ingredient.

So it is safe for my ducklings then?

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That's what I've always fed mine. That's what I'll be feeding again this spring. That's what the person who helped me greatly when I got my first calls recommended and she's been raising calls a very long time.

9. goatropper

goatropper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2008
    Indiana
    :rolleyes:My ducks did just fine on the same medicated feed. The biggest trick is to keep them from getting themselves and everything else wet! Big messers in the water. Not suposed to be soaked for so many weeks...thats hard...they can get chilled.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:If you ever figure out a way to keep them making a huge wet mess I want to know it!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by