Day Old Ducklings with Umbilicus Prolapse & Unabsorbed Yolk Sac

kelseym330

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2024
Hey y'all, brand new to BYC so I appreciate any and ALL help and advice you have to offer. I had placed an egg in the incubator that appeared to be one laid by my sweet east indie girl, farrah.. much to my surprise it was actually a rare and weird white egg that is either one of my australorps or ayam cemani hens. Well, as to no surprise - the chicken egg hatched a few days before my ducks (i was placing eggs sporadically, but dating them and keeping tabs on which eggs were to come first.) I successfully hatched 2 duck eggs the day after the chicken without issue, however there was pipping on 2 other duck eggs that seemed to happen rather quickly and also 4-5 days early. These adorable babies hatched with enthusiastic encouragement from the little chick, however i immediately noticed that there was unabsorbed yolk as well as umbilical l tissue protruding from their little bodies. I have dealt with adult prolapse before successfully, but this is a bit trickier. I have been using pipettes to supplement the 2 ducklings with electrolytes and vitamins as well as fresh water to keep them hydrated. I held their little duck butts in room temperature water with epsom salts to help clean and dry up the nasties from being hatched. I used use a mixture of arnica oil (i infuse my own with arnica flower and hemp oil) to help with pain and swelling, preparation h to vasoconstrict the blood vessels to help hold the muscles tight and prolapse in, as well as a little bit of hydrocortisone cream. So far - ducky 1 is holding strong and is comfortably resting wrapped up in his washcloth living his best life on the heating pad on a low setting. Unfortunately, ducky 2 is not doing as well and has more yolk sac protruding than the other. I used the same method on 2 as i did with the 1 with temporary luck, but the second she lets out a little chirp it pops right back out. I have been at this now for a solid 12 hours giving her resting periods, blow dryer blow-bys to keep her alert and warm and cozy, but it is now 3:15am and mama is TIRED and running out of ideas. I read witch hazel can be helpful (as it is a natural remedy for hemorrhoids) but i'm unsure about just squirting witch hazel up the poor things' hole. I'm not sure that using the make-shift diaper method would work on her being so tiny, and i worry that somehow i would be stunting her growth. *this could be exhaustion talking*

but friends, please hit me with any ideas, advice, or help you can offer!

Attachments

• IMG_8744.jpg
    IMG_8744.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom