Day One Of NEw Chicken coop! & Intro

Dom'sHEns

Songster
13 Years
Apr 2, 2007
New Jersey
Hi All!
I've been lurking around this forum and positing questions here and there, But I Haven't properly intorduced my self! My name is Dom and I grew up having chickens on my grandfathers farm in South Jersey. Saddly he passed away a few years back and we had to sell his poperty as it wasent a practical option for me and my wifes careers. So we ended up here in North Jersey in cookie cutter surburbia.
th.gif

Ever since we moved we thought about somehow raising chickens, and thanks to all the info and great people on this site we were able to make that into a reality. I thought we would be the only ones in a 10 mile radius to raise chickens but it turnes out there is two familys just down the street that have been keeping a flock for years!
Anyway With Out Further delay! Our New Coop! Day one of construction
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
All coments Appreciated!

DSC01836.jpg

DSC01837.jpg

Sorry if the Pics are too big.....The white wood frame on top of the coop floor is a old basement window that im thinking about using.

Last edited:
Edit your post so the first thing of your photo address is this bracket: [

It should say: ljdlksjlkjdlkfjd....(etc)

Can't wait to see the pics!

Hey Dom Welcome. Your coop looks great so far. Do you have your chicks yet. What kind do you have or want to get. Keep the pics coming. We love pics. I think that is so cool. Chicks in Suburbia!!!

Hi csguinn, Thanks for the coment. I am anxiously awaiting the arivial of my chicks from MYC.com I ordered a BR, 2 Golden comets, a EE, 2 BSL's and a Buff Bramha Bantie. My favorite Breed that we usted to keep at Grandpa's farm were Dominigues. However i know they are a breed that requires a lot of foraging and i dont know if i can give them what they need. I decited to order these breeds as i feel they will make good beginer breeds and hopefully in the future my little buff brama banty will go broody so i can hatch some chicks! Thanks again for you coments!
-Dom

I have 2 golden comets also, And 3 Barred Rocks, and 1 BR Banty, 2 nine week old OEG banties, and 1 nine week old japanese motled banty roo. He is so cute. If you never had the golden comets you will love them. Mine are so friendly,calm and they lay the biggest brown eggs. They and my little jap roo are my favs. I think you got a good chance of your banty going broody. Dominiques are my dads favs. He and your grandfather would of probably gotten on together. I have thought of getting some. How much more foraging do they need than the others?

Cindy

So, how much you planning to spend on your coop? Was just wonder how much it would all cost and maybe you could get me some measurmants of what kinda wood you used and the lengths of part on the coop just started (Like it is right now) like the top part where its slanted how long the square part is and the boards in the middle of it is all the legths and measurments we might just follow your design cause its looking pretty good and a little inexspensive. Give me all the info cause well, I got 3, 3 week old silkies and 12 buff orp new borns on the way and there gonna need a home soon, my room is temperoralily the chicken house (Hopefully not for long). My DD said he is willing to build me a coop and just needed some plans so I was thinking maybe you could help me its hard finding plans on the internet cause I have been looking for 1 week and no luck yet...

Amanda
big_smile.png

I dunno persay if they need more "forage" room. There just the type of chicken that can survive out on their own and would rather have it that way. Grandpa almost never fed them and they still thrived. That was the charm they posessed. they were also very smart birds. One that we named Lucy would wait my gradpa's pickup every morning knowing that he would venture into town almost hoping that he would take her along for the ride. well one day lucy didnt show up for there 6:30am rondevu (sp)...grandpa was acutually upset!...the roughf toughf man he was lead everyone to believe nothing bothered him. Anyway a month went by and Lucy still didnt show up. Then one morning grandpa woke up the whole house saying lucys back! lucys Back! I peered Out onto the porch and there she was by gradpa's pickup with 5 tiny tiny mini Lucy's Behind her!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom