Day one on arrival from hatchery

Hens14

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2019
My daughter received 41 three day-old pullets from a hatchery. From the first day she received them, one pullet, a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, was much smaller than the rest and seemed slow or "off". She didn't have much balance and wasn't feathering out very much. I took her because the others tended to step on her and she was so much smaller. Her neck had a lump on it, I have never seen a lump on the side of the neck, but because it would get huge after she ate, I figured it was her crop. It doesn't do it now. She is now 9 weeks, small, and is still not totally feathered out. She has a good appetite and drinks water. She is a little off balance standing, walks in circles to the right, and lays down the majority of time. I am wondering if it could be Mereks, and she is recovering, or a defect she was born with. I have her isolated from my hens. All opinions welcomed.

none of the birds it has been in contact with has died and it was showing an abnormal throat condition early on so my money is on a defect she was born with. This means she hasn't been developing at the rate she should have been and this can have an impact on how their organs develop. I can't comment on future prospects as I have too little experience with chicks born with defects. She might catch up, maybe she never will.

It sounds more like a neurological symptom, similar to wry neck where they can have a twisted neck, walking in circles or backward. Some treat with vitamins including E and thiamine (B1.) Some chicks are born with failure to thrive or runts, and early issues from hatch may keep them from ever achieving a normal weight. I would try the vitamins for a few weeks to see if they help. Mareks disease can show up as early as 5 weeks, but more commonly causes symptoms after a few months. I hope that your pullet gets better.

It sounds more like a neurological symptom, similar to wry neck where they can have a twisted neck, walking in circles or backward. Some treat with vitamins including E and thiamine (B1.) Some chicks are born with failure to thrive or runts, and early issues from hatch may keep them from ever achieving a normal weight. I would try the vitamins for a few weeks to see if they help. Mareks disease can show up as early as 5 weeks, but more commonly causes symptoms after a few months. I hope that your pullet gets better.
Thank you! I am following your advice and trying the vitamins. :)

none of the birds it has been in contact with has died and it was showing an abnormal throat condition early on so my money is on a defect she was born with. This means she hasn't been developing at the rate she should have been and this can have an impact on how their organs develop. I can't comment on future prospects as I have too little experience with chicks born with defects. She might catch up, maybe she never will.
Thank you! I am also thinking it may be a defect she was born with. I am trying vitamins to rule out a deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom