Day one....other than layer pellets, what should I feed them?

chilisweet

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Vancouver, WA
We just got our girls last night and they are settling well. They have layer pellets and lots of grass to munch on, but what else do I need to give them? I did give them some plain yogurt which they loved! and now they are eating some watermelon, because it is hot outside...

Anything else I need to give them? I'm kinda freaked out now that they are here, cuz I'm uncertain.

Thanks so much!
~Caran

Layer pellets as main feed.

Scratch or grain mix tossed on the ground for them, so they can "scratch" for it.

Green feeds (veggie tops, kitchen trimmings, etc.) as supplement.

Fresh water, daily.

"Treats" like yogurt and watermelon occasionally.

no, they do not NEED to be on layer pellets as yet. I would put them on chick starter, they can still have their treats and have grit available to them for now. You can either gradually start adding layer pellets when you see their first egg or just keep giving them the pellets now and add chick starter to it to give them the best chance. Actually, I have several different ages together who all free range. I keep the feed mixed together as there is no way to keep it separate from each age group without separating the chickens themselves. I even have ducks who eat the chicken feed. Everybody thinks somebody else is getting something better. I keep grit and oyster shell available. I dust their food and the coop with D.E. to be on the safe side. If you don't know what that is then do a search for "diatomaceous earth". I believe that is how you spell it, if not someone will correct me.
There are lots of things they can eat. Do another search for "treats". Hope this helps?

I have 7 hens and 5 4-month old chicks. I did not know they were still supposed to be on chick food since they can swallow the layer pellets.

I give them a mixture of layer pellets and cracked corn in case they get bored. I hope I'm not hurting my chicks. Anyway I think chickens are a lot like pigs on a farm- they like leftovers. I give them all veggie and fruit scraps from our kitchen that are still good and grain product scraps like leftover bread. They enjoy cake, biscuits, bread, watermelon a lot, berries that I don't want, any over ripe fruit like kiwi, apples, peaches, whatever. Leftover veggie stir fry, leftover cooked veggies no one wants. I also like to give that to my dog. Anyway, they love almost anything we love. Oh, and when I weed the garden, I throw the whole pile in their pen to scratch and nibble. I like them to free range, but they usually get into my garden so instead I throw them the weeds.
But I feed them layer pellets 3 times a day. That's what they live off of. Because, you know, people don't have THAT many leftovers so they don't over eat people food.

Anyway, if you're nervous, I find chickens to be very tough!

Back
Top Bottom