Day time HUGE owl attack

Luckyducksinbama

Chirping
Nov 2, 2021
1:00 and we had just let the ducks out to forage a bit. They were in my garden area between my kitchen and their coop area. We were just eating lunch when my 13 yo jumped up and said, " mom a big bird is on Jemima' and before I knew it my 13 yo was running like David at Goliath with her sister and I trying to catch up. Seconds later we are behind and to my shock- I watch our pekin Jemima being saved by our one pound bossy crested named Mary - who charged at that monster- the owl released Jemima, who then ran and hid and that huge owl maliciously pounced on my little crested and grabbed her by the neck to fk away (all in a matter of seconds) while my 13 yo was only 8 feet away screaming like a maniac at the monster who to my SHOCK was staring her down. I ran faster and when he saw me running up from behind he dropped my crested and flew only to the fence - 5 feet away. It was not until my other child approached from behind I guess he felt out numbered and fkew to the pasture. But circled over us the entire time we were assessing blood wounds and damage. We put them into our dog carrier and drove them straight to the farm vet, who has them, treating wounds, sedating them might have to look inside at the crested grabbed by the neck. I realize this will be a miracle if they pull through. We are shocked a nocturnal bird predator would do this in broad day light 1pm. At this point I think I am leaving everyone (our othervducks/drakes) in their safe covered enclosures for a bit until I figure out this owl. He went to my daughters waist in height and she is 5'4! Anyone ever experience this? And ducks recovered?

How horrible! I'm hoping you get your miracle recoveries!! Kudos to you, your daughter, Mary and the vet!

My only daytime experience with an owl was a juvenile great horned who was, apparently, trying to get to my ducks but had the misfortune (in broad daylight) to knock itself silly by hitting an electrical guy wire. While it was still in shock, a DNR officer was able to quickly load it into his truck and take it away.

Again, hoping all your ducks pull through! Keeping everyone sheltered for a bit sounds like a great idea.

How horrible! I'm hoping you get your miracle recoveries!! Kudos to you, your daughter, Mary and the vet!

My only daytime experience with an owl was a juvenile great horned who was, apparently, trying to get to my ducks but had the misfortune (in broad daylight) to knock itself silly by hitting an electrical guy wire. While it was still in shock, a DNR officer was able to quickly load it into his truck and take it away.

Again, hoping all your ducks pull through! Keeping everyone sheltered for a bit sounds like a great idea.
Thank you. I am still crying reliving these seconds. So grateful they were alive. And WALKING?!?! Incrdible to me these little ducks could walk after that. Thank you again for the kind support.

I'm so sorry for you, your family, and the ducks! That was an incredibly bold owl! What a terrible experience!

My thoughts are with you that they recover. They can be very resilient! I had one of my Muscovy attacked by either a rat or maybe a weasel and her face and neck and beak were covered in wounds. Some TLC, Silver Honey spray, and the miracle of little chirping ducklings (she'd been sitting, and I just happened to have brought home some babies the next day which she immediately took as her own) had her right in no time.

We have red tail hawks where we are at. One took my neighbor chicken and tried to fly away with it until he threw his shoe at it and it dropped it. It was a full grown chicken and a large one! I have seen an own around here years ago but not lately thank heavens and my flock is only outside the pen in another pen with some grass left in it when I am right with them, never alone. I hope your ducks end up healing up well. That had to be scary!!!

Back
Top Bottom