Days old chick pulling on others wings

Froh

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2016
Hello, just had some chicks come in the mail today, and a weak male white sultan chick that was revived started to harass his broodmates..
He was pecked on the eye because of his black eye on light colored fur, and it seems to be irritated because he constantly shakes his head and cries out. However he also harasses other chicks (all female and one male) by tugging on their wings and yelling..?
The brooder is about 3x2' with 6 days old chicks in it and a heating lamp in one corner, paper towel bedding with food and water. The bully chick unlike the others does not scratch around and peck at food on the floor, instead just goes straight for the little wings.
I have separated him in a smaller room, which made him more calm and no more head shaking/crying (related to the eye), but as soon as I try to put him back or introduce a more passive broodmate he starts crying and biting the others again. He does not seem interested in the food I sprinkled on the floor, and will only eat grogel off my finger.

Here is a video of him bullying others, and getting pecked back for it:

Last edited:
How many chicks total do you have?

I'd go back to keeping him separate (preferably in the same brooder, so he can at least see the others) and try keeping him separate for a few days before letting him back in, in order to hopefully give him time to break out of this behavior.

Since you mentioned not wanting to eat without aid, I'm wondering if maybe something is wrong with his vision?

How many chicks total do you have?

I'd go back to keeping him separate (preferably in the same brooder, so he can at least see the others) and try keeping him separate for a few days before letting him back in, in order to hopefully give him time to break out of this behavior.

Since you mentioned not wanting to eat without aid, I'm wondering if maybe something is wrong with his vision?
There are a total of 6 including him, and currently he's in a smaller box with holes inside the brooder. Strangely enough he gets much calmer when hes alone and screams/attacks other chicks on sight.. not only would he pull their wing while screaming he started biting on others' butt fur too

And regarding his vision, as far as I can tell the underlid of one eye is slightly red, most likely from being pecked at. He still keeps both eyes open when he isnt sleeping, but could he be near-sighted somehow, hence why he only eats off my finger directly in front of him?
He wont peck at anything and just sleeps when not bothered, otherwise is energetic when interacting with me and absolutely pissed when he sees other chicks

You can try testing his vision (chickens are near sighted on one side, far sighted on the other) by holding him and wiggling your finger on one side of the head, and then the other, and seeing if he reacts to it at all.

Not sure if any vision issues could be impacting his behavior, but worth looking into.

You can try testing his vision (chickens are near sighted on one side, far sighted on the other) by holding him and wiggling your finger on one side of the head, and then the other, and seeing if he reacts to it at all.

Not sure if any vision issues could be impacting his behavior, but worth looking into.
Tested that and he seems to have no issues, thankfully
He's also back in the main brooder with the others now, looks like one night in chick jail calmed his bloodlust for wings, and he began to peck at food like the others do. He would still occasionally peck someone's beak and not let go, but all generally seems fine now so thank you for the suggestion!
I do wonder if male aggression can show this early, seeing that he and the other male polish pick on each other the most :confused:

I've never seen an aggressive day old chick only playful. .
It happens. I had an eye pecker right out of the shell. Larger breed chicks weren't happy about it and would grab her by the toes and drag her around. She spent a night in isolation and the behavior was minimized and then completely subsided. She's a sweetheart now at 4 weeks.

It happens. I had an eye pecker right out of the shell. Larger breed chicks weren't happy about it and would grab her by the toes and drag her around. She spent a night in isolation and the behavior was minimized and then completely subsided. She's a sweetheart now at 4 weeks.
I remember our mom pinching us on the arm and giving it a twist if any of us kids acted up " in public" . One time was enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom