DE and it's uses...looking for more ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by winekntrychicks, Nov 12, 2008.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Hi all, finally bought my bag of DE. Interested in how every one uses it, all the basics and more ideas. Thanks, Lisa

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I sprinkle in the coop - nest boxes etc. in the run during summer.
    I make sure to put some in their dust bathing area's.

I use it for my horse and goat barn as well, and also in summer I'll sprinkle it outside, and in the poop cart.

you can also add it to feed if you have a problem with bugs and such - I haven't done that.

Try not to breath it in, and keep it off your skin - it won't KILL you but its nasty. I often get it on my hands, and it dry's them out horribly.

3. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    forgive me if i'm telling you something you already know!!! just make SURE your d.e. is "food grade". [​IMG]

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep a sprinkle in the bottom of your cleanup bucket; sprinkle a little around the perimeter of your run. Use in places where chickens dig and dust bathe. Use on floor of coop porch/entrance so anything on your boots is treated before you enter.

Food-grade DE only![​IMG]

5. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:Thanks, It is.

6. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    I mix some in each new bag of feed, and also mix it into the cats food, and put it in the cat littler box (just about a cup )
    We use it in the coop (Deep litter method) and I have used it in the brooder from day one with the little ones. Our chickens free range all day....but they do have a run area around their coop.....there is NOTHING there ...they have picked the ground clean so it gets sloppy wet. SO when it is super sloppy I thinly spread straw over the run area, and then sprinkle DE around the run. It makes the area less sloppy, and then we just rake it all up in a few weeks (or days depending) and put it in the compost mound.

~Tiff~

7. tknjk

tknjk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    I'm pretty new to the whole chicken thing, but I like to think I have done my homework, but I have no idea what DE is???

8. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i haven't been able to find it around here. :mad: can anyone suggest where i can get some? thanks

9. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:Where'd you get it. I heard it's used for bugs, but not sure

10. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I sell PermaGuard Food Grade DE for 22.30 for 7 pounds. That includes PayPal fee and USPS Priority Mail 2-3 day delivery time. PM me if interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by