DE bath = quieter chicks?

Meesh

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Rocky Mountains
It's odd... The chicks (3 weeks old) have a pie size plate of sand in the brooder to dustbathe in. A couple days ago I added an ounce scoop of food grade DE and mixed it into the sand. They are SOOO quiet and peaceful since, and sleeping better.

Is it because they were so itchy before? Has anyone experienced this?? They seem less irritated. I haven't changed anything else in their brooder. Seems to smell a bit less chicken-y, as well.

Is DE sort of like have a soothing coat of talcum powder?

Cheers,
Michelle

Good question!

I sift food grade DE into the pine shavings whenever I set up our brooder (3 times over the winter) and definately notice less "chickeny" smell than our first time with chicks (last May).

Sorry this doesn't answer your question, though...

Dawn

Where in the world do you get food-grade DE?? A healthfood store, farm store? I've never seen it before!! I suppose I could order it online.

ASk your feed store if they can special-prder it. It must be (chemical codex) food grade DE. No one local carries it but they special-ordered it for me. Much cheaper than shipping from online orders.

Quote:
Me too! Where do I buy it? I know, silly question. I've just never bought any food grade DE before. I didn't even know that they made it.
big_smile.png

This is probably quite the silly question, ( refer to the words *new Member* next my name :-D) but what IS DE?
Sorry, this is my first time with chicks ~
~Red

Not silly. It is diamotaceous earth, also called fossil shell flour. Literally ground up diatoms, or fossilized creatures. Depending on what you read/who you talk to, it can do miracles. From curing digestive ailments to curing cancer in humans. With regards to chickens, it helps to reduce moisture content thereby drying out the poop and lessening smell. If added to the litter it helps to reduce smell, as well as adding food grade to their food. So it is a must for the deep litter method. Hope that helps. Btw, I am a newbie too, just had a bit of time to research a little while trying to find food grade de.

Last edited:
There's links on my food grade DE page (3rd link in my signature, post #2) for where you can order/buy the right DE. We have a dealer about 40 minutes south of us and pay $20.00 for a 50# bag.

Hope this helps!
Dawn

Back
Top Bottom