de-crowing a Roo

Most of the operations are done under anesthesia, and I have seen several Roos after. They will be a little sore for a day or two but its just like getting over a sore throat. They are back to a happy life very quickly.

Quote:
Good point.. that thought slipped my mind.

Good luck with this. I hope you can get something figured out
smile.png

So, again, please if anyone has suggested medical texts to read I would appreciate more knowledge.

Last edited:
Caponizing is removing the testes, it would render them sterile. It is performed when they are still quite small (young) the complications on a grown roo are exponetially higher, and if they are already crowing likely will not stop the crowing. If there is any "slip" even the tiniest piece of one of the testes that is accidentally left in they will still crow and may or may not be sterile, but will still act like full roo.

Sorry I can't help w/ any articles or knowledge of surgical "de crowing" I never even knew it was possible.

Last edited:
Cruel or not, I believe shugaskull has seen all of the instances of this and for that reason in the very first post they said "Please keep opinions to your self, I am strictly looking for facts, research, reference materials (i.e. books, articles, medical texts, etc.....). " So whether it is cruel or not isn't important (in my opinion) currently. You could argue it over and waste time, or you could provide the information requested and allow people who read to decide their opinion regarding the subject. I don't think shugaskull's will be changed, as they've seen roosters after the procedures and have probably done some research as well.

I could see this thread going down hill quickly; even if some of the ones here haven't it is only a matter of time before someone comes along and starts an uproar I imagine. I wouldn't mind learning a little bit more on the subject myself. I would never do it, but I wouldn't mind learning about how it is done and so on for the next person who comes along.

-Daniel

Note: This post is not directed at any one person, it is just an opinion of a opinion I guess one could say
big_smile.png

I know where I live we don't have any vets in our area that are capable of completing surgery on chickens or any other birds. I would have to go two counties over to do that. I am very interested in what you find out though. Medically if it can be done humanely it might be a way that people living in city areas can have roosters for breeding without causing problems with their neighbors. Definitely an interesting idea.

Thank you Daniel for bringing the thread back to the heart of knowledge. Hopefully someone on this forum has some experience on decrowing and can share their education.

Back
Top Bottom