DE, Eprinex & Elector PSP questions, for mites

cmbchickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
I'm thinking of getting some DE to help fight the mite. In reading up, I've also read about using Eprinex Pour-On which sounds like a good option, too, either or in addition to. I already bit the bullet and bought and been using Elector PSP. I've cleaned out my coop of all wood shavings. I have a concrete floor so I powerwashed and even used a little bleach, then sprayed floor, roosts, walls, crooks and crannies with PSP, brought in sand, and have sprayed chicken vents and legs and all roosts and cracks and crannies multiple times (I do this at night to catch everyone and while the bugars are out feasting). It seems some better but not licked yet and I'm about to run out of this liquid gold. I'm loathe to spend another $145 dollars for this concentrate.
***So here are my questions: several of you say "do your homework" in regards to using DE safely. There is SOOO much information out there and much of it is conflicting. I'm reading these posts where some say it's dangerous but do your homework and some say it's safe but do your homework. Could I get some more pointers on the best source of homework? Or if someone has already done the homework, can you share the cliff notes on what else I need to know other than it can cause respiratory problems? Because some people say they've used for years and never had problems. What am I going to learn through the homework that will help keep my chickens safe while using DE? I don't mind doing the homework, but just need it narrowed down a little. If I do my own homework, how do I know that what I'm reading is accurate since there are so many opposing views? Or please just share what the nuggets of wisdom are from the "homework."
***Additionally, is there an egg withdrawal using DE?
***Is the Eprinex I'm reading about the one for cattle, but people are using it for chickens too?
***Is there an egg withdrawal using Eprinex? I read no, but then I read that the no withdrawal was referring to cattle, so I'm left wondering if no withdrawal for chickens.
Thank you for your help!!!

I'm thinking of getting some DE to help fight the mite. In reading up, I've also read about using Eprinex Pour-On which sounds like a good option, too, either or in addition to. I already bit the bullet and bought and been using Elector PSP. I've cleaned out my coop of all wood shavings. I have a concrete floor so I powerwashed and even used a little bleach, then sprayed floor, roosts, walls, crooks and crannies with PSP, brought in sand, and have sprayed chicken vents and legs and all roosts and cracks and crannies multiple times (I do this at night to catch everyone and while the bugars are out feasting). It seems some better but not licked yet and I'm about to run out of this liquid gold. I'm loathe to spend another $145 dollars for this concentrate.
***So here are my questions: several of you say "do your homework" in regards to using DE safely. There is SOOO much information out there and much of it is conflicting. I'm reading these posts where some say it's dangerous but do your homework and some say it's safe but do your homework. Could I get some more pointers on the best source of homework? Or if someone has already done the homework, can you share the cliff notes on what else I need to know other than it can cause respiratory problems? Because some people say they've used for years and never had problems. What am I going to learn through the homework that will help keep my chickens safe while using DE? I don't mind doing the homework, but just need it narrowed down a little. If I do my own homework, how do I know that what I'm reading is accurate since there are so many opposing views? Or please just share what the nuggets of wisdom are from the "homework."
***Additionally, is there an egg withdrawal using DE?
***Is the Eprinex I'm reading about the one for cattle, but people are using it for chickens too?
***Is there an egg withdrawal using Eprinex? I read no, but then I read that the no withdrawal was referring to cattle, so I'm left wondering if no withdrawal for chickens.
Thank you for your help!!!

The testimonials to the effectiveness of DE reminds me of the "Elephant" jokes of the 1960s.
One example is "why do elephants wear green tennis shoes?" The punch line is, "Why so they can hide in cucumber fields. You say that you never seen an elephant lurking in a field of cucumbers? See, it must work."

DE is like an elephant wearing green tennis shoes to blend into a field of cucumbers. It only works as long as you don't have any cucumber eating elephants on your place. The same thing works as long as you are mite free.

Okay. So your opinion is it doesn't work, and it sounds like you're saying the ones who say it does work are the ones that use it as a preemptory strike and never had mites to begin with.

So I guess that begs the question, is there anyone who definitely had a mite problem and DE eliminated that problem? I mean, just from everything I've read, the posts, the blogs, the articles, I could respond to a post and repeat what I've read. "It causes respiratory problems but can be used safely. Do your homework." Is there anyone who has experiential information on (a) does it really work, meaning you eliminated a mite problem personally with it, and if that is true (because if it's not, there's no reason to try it) (b) you have personally used it and had no health issues with chickens? And if that is true, how exactly did you use it to keep your chickens safe? And I am counting this inquiry as part of my homework :) Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom