De-Icer Care

GonzoTheGreat

Chirping
Jun 7, 2019
Wondering if anyone has tips for using the Farm Innovators Model C-250 or a similar model metal water tank de-icer. I used it last year and it got some deposits on it, I tried cleaning it off but could never get it "clean". I went to go put it back in this year, and there is rust on it in the "notches" on the sides, so I'm buying another one so the girls aren't drinking rusty water. Luckily it isn't too cold here yet.

Anyone have luck keeping these things going for multiple winters?

2170738_A1.jpg

Try dipping (Submerging) the metal portion,,, not the electrical portion into straight vinegar,,,, and see what your results will be. Might need to stay in for a day or so.
Another option is an old trick using Coca Cola. instead of vinegar. I have never done it, but have read, about it.
I myself use a wire brush, or a wire wheel on a grinder to deal with rusted steel items.
image_2021-12-06_032935.png
Just this portion.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

My understanding is that they are made of aluminium, so they should not be rusting. Could it be that the rust is from your well water and not actually the de-icer rusting?
It isn't well water. City tap water from the hose bib. It is just rusting in those notches. Used it in a plastic waterer. Took it out in the spring, tried cleaning it up, and it has been hanging in my shed since then.

Try dipping (Submerging) the metal portion,,, not the electrical portion into straight vinegar,,,, and see what your results will be. Might need to stay in for a day or so.
Another option is an old trick using Coca Cola. instead of vinegar. I have never done it, but have read, about it.
I myself use a wire brush, or a wire wheel on a grinder to deal with rusted steel items.
View attachment 2919998Just this portion.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've used the same one for four years. It has the same rust spots and scale build up as yours. I've never cleaned it and it still does a good job, no dead chickens from using it.

Back
Top Bottom