de in layer pellets

the simple life

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Weymouth, Massachusetts
I know there has been alot of discussion on using foodgrade DE for the chickens.
I was wondering if anyone noticed that they put de in some of the chicken feed.
I bought the organic layer pellets by Blue Seal and one of the ingredients is de.

I guess I don't have any concerns,
just wondering if this is common practice or not.

I suspect this is an example of "giving the people what they want". All part of the organic hysteria. IMO DE in a layer pellet is both harmless & useless. Before all the DE proponents break out the torches & pitchforks let me ask only that you refute this with scientific data that is objective ie: not promulgated by someone selling DE.

Well, what it will do is keep bugs from infesting the feed. I always put a little DE in my newly opened bags of feed to keep out bugs. Works like a charm. And once or twice after I opened a bag, I saw bugs inside. Added the DE, no more bugs...well, no live ones. I'm not talking about adding 2% of the total feed, just maybe a cup or so and stirring it around in the top of the bag.

I have been looking for "food grade DE" but can't seem to find it. What I could find was OMGRI certified DE but it didn't say "foodgrade" on the bag. The lady in the hardware store told me that Washington and Oregon have really strict standards for anything used for pest control and that companies selling those products were required to put warnings on the bags whether it was safe for consumption or not. Has anyone else had similar issues finding the "foodgrage DE"?

I haven't really looked much around here, but Shadow Ridge is an online company that sells it, and there is someone else on this board that sells it and ships as well, but I am unsure of who it is right now.

I get my food grade DE here. I bought it first for the dogs.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I could only find the same thing at my local hardware store. Is it "Safer" brand? I was afraid to use it even though the hardware guy said "it should be fine"
roll.png
. It was powder white.

I finally managed to find some really gritty gray stuff at my local coop store that they sell as safe for feeding to animal.

Safer is for gardens, not food grade. See my link two posts up. Food grade is not a different color. At least mine isn't.

It is however labeled for food use and you can easily tell.

Back
Top Bottom