DE is preventative but won't cure an infestation.... why?

Quote:
Commercial operations have layers on wire for about 2 years before they are replaced. No worm problems there.
If worming defeats the purpose of you raising chickens, that you dont want to do, that is your choice. But if you want healthy chickens and healthy eggs, and they are not free ranging and you only have them in a pen with dirt under their feet...they will get worms eventually. The oocysts are in the soil and will be picked up by your chickens. Worms cause weakness, weakness opens the door to diseases. Kill the worms and their immune system deters disease.

Quote:
Sevin dust works best against fire ants. It is 95% DE, 5% carbaryl.

I use Seven dust for all types of unwanted pests around the house and garden but I did find out a little washing soda, borax and vinegar does a great gob on fire ants also.
wink.png

Chris

Quote:

I use Seven dust for all types of unwanted pests around the house and garden but I did find out a little washing soda, borax and vinegar does a great gob on fire ants also.
wink.png

Chris

LOL, there's alot of things I USED to use on those darned fire ants;)

Quote:

wink.png

Chris

Yes, I agree with that! I've actually never used DE but it sure comes up on BYC often enough that I thought I'd post a study about it that I came across...

For fire ants I use the strongest stuff I can buy! My two year old thought it would be a good idea to park his bike on an ant hill a few weeks ago and I don't feel like it's a good idea to sprinkle DE on the mound daily for 30 days straight to kill about 60% of the infestation when I can wipe them out in a day or two! And btw he still hasn't learned to stay away from ant hills! Man, I have to watch him...
thumbsup.gif

Well, now I am not so sure. I looked down the throats of a few birds including my pet chicken that was displaying the yawn thing. There was nothing there and I seen really deep down. Just light pink, moist flesh. Not even any redness or swelling. The chickens do not seem sick at all except for my pet chicken, Red. She has always been strange.... lethargic, only lays pullet eggs. All of the chickens are heavy and not loosing any weight.
Do chickens yawn just for some sort of habit or to get food moving or something?
Are gape worms something that even exist everywhere? Maybe they are not in my area?

Sevin is not 95% food grade DE, that's for sure. DE works on soft bodied insects when it dessicates them, so it must touch them to work and it isn't poison, so it's not instant. I do sprinkle it in nestboxes, occasionally on birds, and under the roost if we have a run of wet weather to dry things out some. It does what it does, but isn't some miracle cure for cancer. Food grade DE, unlike pool filter DE or the DE in regular insecticides, can be put in feed to control any bugs that may wander into the bin, but I have my doubts about its effectiveness as an actual wormer so I do not depend on it as such. Free range birds don't need worming as often as penned birds do. They seem to eat natural wormers on range.

Gape worm is not all that common, generally. Usually, that gaping motion means they have something stuck in their throat that they are trying to get down, but not necessarily worms. Gapeworm makes them shake their heads and cough and choke, not just "yawn", I understand.

Also you have to go to a certified organic egg producer. He dose not keep the chickens more than a year, anyway the one I went to. He said if he worms them or has to get rid of mites and or lice the eggs are not considered organic anymore. I want a healthy chicken and healthy eggs but I also want big eggs so I want my chickens healthy more than a year. SO I will worm my chickens. I do know that you have to worm milk cows on a regular time table. BUT is no longer organic if you worm your milk cow? I don't know that one, but I would think it is organic if you don't give anything to make them give more milk or give milk quicker. So, what is differnt with eggs? I had read also that if you use treated wood in your coop you could not be certified organic.? I used treated in cement and that is supposed to be ok because the wood would not leach into the soil. The organic farmer I went to used old tabaco barns for his coops. I thought to my self....how many chemicals are used in tobaco??? ALOT! It has to be in the soil! But he is certified organic. He did have REALLY clean coops. I had no problem eatting his eggs but, should I have?????

The active ingredient in Sevin is Carbaryl and Sevin has a dual mode-of-action — it works on contact and through ingestion. Sevin is non-systemic, which means it does not penetrate plant tissue — it stays on the outside. After controlling the targeted pest, Sevin is easily broken down in the environment.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom