DE mixed w/feed

....isn't DE the "fossilized shells of diatoms...Diatomaceous Earth is a silica hydroxide sedimentary rock , is amorphous, (which means it does not have a definite crystalline structure and is therefore not a mineral)....composed primarily of the remains of silica skeletons of diatoms. It has a hardness near 1, it will float on water, is white gray, or a off-white in color, and can contain water in the 3 to 13 percent range. The typical chemical composition of diatomaceous earth is 86% silicon, 5% sodium, 3% magnesium and 2% iron. " http://www.mine-engineer.com/mining/mineral/diatomaceous-earth.htm

DE
has been very effective in killing bugs in our experience over many years. It's my understanding it's also used in some feeds to help keep it free flowing?

I've no clue about any effectiveness on internal parasites, though.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Correct.
And in Earth's crust, silicon is the second most abundant element after oxygen, making up 27.7% of the crust by mass.

Chris

I have a bag of it in the barn and fly's are in it 24 -7 and haven't seen a dead fly on from the DE.

New flies come in all the time.

I thiink it probably does help control them by drying up droppings, thereby preventing maggots​

I did some research in the academic journals to see if I could find any reference to the use of diatomaceous earth in feed for animal health using the Agricola, AgEconSearch, American Chemical Society Journals databases, but I didn’t find much either for or against. I found many references to its use in stored grain to protect it from various bugs (red flour beetle, lesser grain borer, etc.) Most articles focused on one pest or another. There is very little research available on internal uses. These are the two articles I found. You could look them up if you wanted to read them.

TITLE: Effect of diatomaceous earth on the performance and blood variables of broiler chicks during experimental aflatoxicosis [electronic resource].
Author: Modirsanei, Mehrdad; Khazraeinia, Parvaneh; Farkhoy, Mohsen; Masoumi, Zahra; Mansoori, Behzad; Khosravi, Ali Reza; Kiaei, Mohammad Mehdi
Source: Journal of the science of food and agriculture, 2008 Mar., v. 88, no. 4, p. 626-632. 88 4
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Abstract:
BACKGROUND: Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a type of tectosilicate found in large quantities in Iran. It is possible that this compound can absorb mycotoxins. An experiment was conducted to evaluate the protective effects of DE on experimental aflatoxicosis in broilers from 1 to 42 days of age. In four treatments of four replicates, 160 one-day-old Hubbard male chicks were subjected to two levels of aflatoxin B₁ (AFB₁) (0 and 1.0 mg kg⁻℗£) and DE (0 and 30 mg kg⁻℗£)RESULTS: Body weight gain, feed intake, feed conversion ratio, and productive efficiency index were adversely affected in the chicks treated with AFB₁. Weight of heart was significantly decreased (20.3%) by AFB₁ (P < 0.05). Serum total protein, albumin, and the activity of serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) were decreased by AFB₁. DE significantly (P < 0.05) increased body weight gain (9.51%), feed intake (7.44%), and improved feed conversion ratio (2.08%) as well as productive efficiency index (5.48%) in the birds that subjected to AFB₁ DE also increased serum albumin (22.6%), and the activity of serum LDH (44.4%).CONCLUSION: DE might be beneficial in reducing toxic effects of AFB₁ in broilers. It is possible to include DE as an alternative to other mycotoxin binders at levels of 30 mg kg⁻℗£ in the diets on offer to broilers between the ages of 1 and 42 days. Copyright ℗♭ 2007 Society of Chemical Industry

This article was originally in Portuguese, so no English abstract.

TITLE: Acid products adsorbed in diatomaceous earth beneficially influence the microbial environment in the gastrointestinal tract of piglets post-weaning [electronic resource].
Author: Mikkelsen, L.L.; Jensen, B.B.; Virtanen, E.
Source: Livestock science, 2007 May 1, v. 108, no. 1-3, p. 222-225. 108 1-3
Descriptors: Lactobacillus; yeasts; lactic acid; small intestine; species diversity; feed supplements; acidification; animal pathogenic bacteria; digestive system diseases; weaning; diatomaceous earth; piglets; weanlings; adsorption; diarrhea; Escherichia coli; intestinal microorganisms; microbial ecology
Identifiers: acid products
Language: Portuguese
Publication Type: Journal Article
Note: Paper presented at the 10th International Symposium on Digestive Physiology in Pigs, held May 25-27, 2006, Vejle, Denmark.
Includes references.
Category Codes: Animal Diseases (Bacterial); Animal Physiology and Biochemistry; Animal Nutrition

Does anyone else have access to some other research databases? I just used the keywords “diatomaceous earth” and then browsed the results. It would be great if we could get some research-based data one way or the other.
pop.gif

There is very little research available on internal uses.

That's because both logic and early research proves there is no benefit to internal use.
It's pointless to do countless studies when the result will always be the same.

DE is inert, and the results won't ever cahnge​

I found one a bit later (2011). The parasite info was pretty much Greek to me, but I clipped an interesting quote from the abstract below - hens laid larger eggs!
Authors:
Bennett, D. C.1 [email protected]
Yee, A.1,2
Rhee, Y.-J.1,3
Cheng, K. M.1
Source:
Poultry Science; Jul2011, Vol. 90 Issue 7, p1416-1426, 11p

Here is an interesting quote:

"However, BB hens treated with dietary DE had significantly lower Capillaria FEC, slightly lower Eimeria FEC, fewer birds infected with Heterakis, and significantly lower Heterakis worm burden than control BB hens. Both BB and LB hens fed the diet containing DE were significantly heavier, laid more eggs, and consumed more feed than hens fed the control diet, but feed efficiency did not differ between the 2 dietary treatments. Additionally, BB hens consuming the DE diet laid larger eggs containing more albumen and yolk than hens consuming the control diet."

edited to add that the article did say that hens dusted with DE had significantly fewer mites.

Quote:

TITLE: Acid products adsorbed in diatomaceous earth beneficially influence the microbial environment in the gastrointestinal tract of piglets post-weaning [electronic resource].
Descriptors: Lactobacillus; yeasts; lactic acid; small intestine; species diversity; feed supplements; acidification; animal pathogenic bacteria; digestive system diseases; weaning; diatomaceous earth; piglets; weanlings; adsorption; diarrhea; Escherichia coli; intestinal microorganisms; microbial ecology
Note: Paper presented at the 10th International Symposium on Digestive Physiology in Pigs, held May 25-27, 2006, Vejle, Denmark.
Includes references.
Category Codes: Animal Diseases (Bacterial); Animal Physiology and Biochemistry; Animal Nutrition

Does anyone else have access to some other research databases? I just used the keywords “diatomaceous earth” and then browsed the results. It would be great if we could get some research-based data one way or the other.
pop.gif

Last edited:
Trust me it definitely kills bugs. I went out to our greenhouse one day and found the tell tale signs of ant hills. I sprinkled it on the ground and watched the ants run through it and have specked white specks from the DE.
Since I'm in the greenhouse most days I watched to see if there were less ants. After a few days I did not see any sign of ants. I even dug down to see if they were still around and could not find one!

From what I have read it only works on bugs with an exoskeleton and essentially cuts the outer shell and dries them out, killing them.

I even had my 11 yo daughter collect some ants in a bag, sprinkled some DE in the bag and waited. It 2 days they were all dead.

Bug prevention is all DE is really good for. IMHO

I read the first paper. It states that there was no difference in the DE fed chicks as compared to the control group. The only significant difference was seen when the chicks were poisoned with aflatoxin and fed DE. Conclusion, DE MIGHT help neutralize a specific fungal aflatoxin. So I guess if you're feeding your flock moldy feed, there might be a benefit. I suggest not using moldy feed.

I cannot get access to the second paper, however, my main concerns are right in the title. (1) It says "acid products adsorbed to DE". Are they normally adsorbed to DE or did they just use DE as a carrier? (2) This doesn't apply to chickens. It is a piglet study.

Quote:

Includes references.

pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom