DE mixed w/feed

The person we purchased ours from also uses it himself. He has used it for several years now and he says he hasn't been sick. Everyone's different, so it may or may not work for everyone. I believe even without scientific evidence that it just might be beneficial to some. Since we all need minerals and such, who's to say it doesn't help someone who may need what is in DE. Then again it may not be for everyone. My theory is, I'm not going to disagree with someone who has used it and believes it helped them, since I have never used it myself. For now I'm going to use it in my feed (chicken) and in the coops. My DH may try it for himself though. I guess I didn't realize when I started this thread, it was so controversial. I know a lot of people who use it and swear by it, especially with their chickens. But on this subject, I say let's all agree to disagree!!
big_smile.png
It has been very interesting hearing everyones views! Anyone else wants to chime in, you are welcome! Thanks everyone!
And to DOnSoCalOC, Lucky you in finding and affording (ha ha!!) Organic feed! I can't find it around here for hundreds of miles, and shipping is awful. And to have DE mixed in is an added plus! I do believe it works on bugs. I know the non-food grade isn't supposed to be good for anything, but that it what I have been using for 3 yrs now, (should've read the bag more closely,
big_smile.png
) and we haven't had a problem with any kind of mites or insects, except the occasional outbreak of flies, but we just sprinkle it on the shavings and under the roosts and we don't have a problem for long. We also try to clean the coops every month or two, but recently we kinda have slacked off a little. We've only cleaned 1 of them (we have 2) once since May, and we haven't gotten to the other yet. That is on the list for this eve. no matter what time! But even at that, we haven't had any problem with flies much at all, even in this heat.

Quote:
dshappychicks- I did an online search and found Modesto Milling in CA. Then I found that they had a retailer within 25mi of where I live. I pay about $30/50# bag and I want the ultimate best in my eggs. That's why I began my search and ended up having peeps in the first place. I also came in contact with a person that lives nearby who does a co-op in purchasing from Organic Pastures in VA. I thought it would be a great deal, but with the shipping it cost me $93 for 2 50#bags! Not going to do that again. I will get the MM from the retail store and blend it with the OP I got then continue on with just the MM. Maybe you could look into having a nearby Feed & Tack obtain a line of Organic Soy-Free??? Or, every thought of making your own in large quantities? Just a thought that I may do, gotta look into it first and see if the cost of DIY is more economical or not.

The Food-Grade DE is the best overall. The other DE is mainly used for pool filters and I read that it should never be used for pest control as it has been heated and become crystallized. I encourage you to obtain the Food-Grade Codex DE if you can. I am a newbie, only 7 weeks into the world of chickens, but I have done a lot of reading over the past 2 years before diving in...and I still don't know enough! I think the best way to learn is by experience.

Best to you!
smile.png

Thanks D.
smile.png
We did purchase the foodgrade DE from someone about 4-5 miles from us!! That never happens in this area. He is the only dealer listed of the dura-guard (?) brand in ohio. I couldn't believe it! I may ask him if he could get organic feed. We have someone in our church that raises and sells organic veggies and he uses organic fertilizer from a company, McGreary I think, that also sells organic feed. I've talked to him about getting the feed, but he hasn't yet or doesn't want to get into the feed part. He has a flower and garden center. We use the local layer mash from our feed mill. I've considered just using this and getting some of the other organic ingredients if I can find them at a reasonable price. I know you can buy flax seed (organic) at wholefoods for about 1.49 lb. I'm going to check this out and see what else they might have that I could add to the feed. The nearest one to me is about 40-50 miles away. I do buy the black oil sunflower seeds, but they are not organic. Every year I think I'm going to raise sunflowers, but never seem to get them planted!

By the way, If I haven't told you, welcome to the wonderful world of chickens and
welcome-byc.gif
!!! This is a great site with great people! It is so much fun and is fascinating to me to share and have something in common with people from all over the world!!

Debbie~

dshappychicks-

You are very welcome and thank you for the warm welcome.

I used to shop Wholefoods, excellent organic produce, but their prices are way too high. I am considering making my own feed soon. The breeder where I got my peeps has a recipe she uses for her show chix. I looked into Tropical Traditions Cocofeed and it is more expensive to purchase than the Countryside Organics.

Now I am on a mission to conquer the flies! I made one of those 2L soda bottle fly traps and have zero in either one. Using DE on the ground and even hung essential oil streamers with lavender and citronella on them.

Going bug hunting...

Quote:
It's by weight.

Keep in mind that site listing the "benefits" is trying to SELL you DE

Most of the things on the list are outright lies, or simply meaningless rhetoric

Examples:

"No feed withdrawal"

Of course there is none, since it's basically just sand, and not a "drug"

Reduces overall animal stress

Simply rhetoric

Helps detox heavy metals, ecoli, bacteria, viruses, etc

Patently false, with no scientific evidence to back it up

· Better production
· Better overall health

More meaningless rhetoric

15 trace minerals – great for animals, humans, plants, and soil

Fancy description for contaminants found in any soil
Pure DE only has 3 ingredients...Silica, Alumina, and Iron Oxide.

· Decreased mastitis
· Reduced scours
· Decreased mortality

No scientific proof of any of those​

Thanks for the info!​

Not sure what lactic acid would do.

We use a product called Oxine and add it to their drinking water to prevent mold and other nasty stuff from building up. Oxine is also approved to be use as a fogging agent for the coops to kill bacteria and other pathogens.

One gallon costs around $35.00 and can treat something like 5000 gallons of water.

As for DE. We mix it in with the bedding and use it to kill ants and other things in the home.

Of course there is none, since it's basically just sand, and not a "drug"

Reduces overall animal stress

Simply rhetoric

Helps detox heavy metals, ecoli, bacteria, viruses, etc

Patently false, with no scientific evidence to back it up

· Better production
· Better overall health

More meaningless rhetoric

15 trace minerals – great for animals, humans, plants, and soil

Fancy description for contaminants found in any soil
Pure DE only has 3 ingredients...Silica, Alumina, and Iron Oxide.

· Decreased mastitis
· Reduced scours
· Decreased mortality

No scientific proof of any of those

Thanks for the info!​
I agree.

DE is a natural bug killer. We use it all the time in and around the coop. Mixed in their bedding. Excellent insect killer. Had ants around the pool and sprinkled some DE in and around the holes and within in 48 hours, no more ants.
All the other claims are bogus or at least not substantiated.

Back
Top Bottom