DE mixed w/feed

Quote:
It's by weight.

Keep in mind that site listing the "benefits" is trying to SELL you DE

Most of the things on the list are outright lies, or simply meaningless rhetoric

Examples:

"No feed withdrawal"

Of course there is none, since it's basically just sand, and not a "drug"

Reduces overall animal stress

Simply rhetoric

Helps detox heavy metals, ecoli, bacteria, viruses, etc

Patently false, with no scientific evidence to back it up

· Better production
· Better overall health

More meaningless rhetoric

15 trace minerals – great for animals, humans, plants, and soil

Fancy description for contaminants found in any soil
Pure DE only has 3 ingredients...Silica, Alumina, and Iron Oxide.

· Decreased mastitis
· Reduced scours
· Decreased mortality

No scientific proof of any of those​

x2

Most of what is listed is pure nonsense.​

dont want to be a hijacker but... i have never used it and dont know anything about it. should i be using it? i dont think i have bugs or anything. how easy/ hard are they to see on the chicks

I use DE food grade at a ratio of about 1 heaped teaspoon to 4 cups of feed, mixed well. I also use DE (non food grade) for chicken house, bedding, dust baths and dusting my birds. Also dust their legs at least once a week as well. Very happy with results, no sign of mites, fleas etc.

I also use DE (non food grade) for chicken house, bedding, dust baths and dusting my birds

That's a very dangerous substance to breath for both the birds and yourself​

as far as i know there arent any bugs so i dont think i need it. how small are these bugs? i clean the coop once a week or so.

how small are these bugs?

It can kill many types of insects.

It works best on hard shelled bugs

They can be as large as German Cockroaches, or as small as this:

bird_mites_size_comparison.jpg

http://bugsinmybed.com/mites-bird.php

Quote:
I just know it is good for insects. We have used the non-food grade in our henhouse for 3 yrs now and haven't, so far, had any problems with lice, mites ect. We put it around the inside perimeter of the Hh and on the floor with the shavings. Also in the nestboxes and rub it on the perches. Everywhere the chickens have contact in the hh. I read conflicting reports on the benefits of putting it in their feed. I think I'm going to add to feed anyway and make my own conclusions. It is a natural product. There is another thread either on this one or coop maintenance that gives a good explanation of DE. Or you can google it and there is alot there on it.

Quote:
If you need to kill some bugs, you can use it.

If you expect it to do much else, it's a waste of money

To Be most honest I wouldn't count on it killing much bugs.
I have a bag of it in the barn and fly's are in it 24 -7 and haven't seen a dead fly on from the DE.
Tried using it in the garden it didn't do a thing.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom