DE Question

Quote:
As soon as the bag gets here...
lau.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist!

On a serious note, I got my 50# bag of food grade DE when the chicks were a few weeks old and added it to their feed, in the pine shavings of their brooder and into the dusting box. Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Do you have to use it? This is my first year with chickens, so their coop and everything is brand new. I guess they could pick up mites from passing birds as they free range around the house whenever I'm home and I move their pen around the yard a lot. I've seen them dusting themselves and one looked a bit itchy so I looked through her feathers to see if I could see anything (not that I knew what to look for), but I didn't see anything moving under or around her wings. Do you use it in a preventive fashion? or after you suspect something?

Hi Kayri,

You don't have to use food grade DE, its more of a personal preference. I'm using it as a preventative with the dog, chickens & rabbits.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Thanks Dawn. I won't run right out and get some then, but if I see some at my feed store, I'll buy it and sprinkle it about.

Im confused I was told yesterday that Food DE does not kill mites fleas or any of those little critters.
I have read and been told that it did take care of those things. even with the internal parisites. worms and such. So which is it Yay or nay! I just don't know what to believe! thanks for your help.

You have the dangerous stuff. Food grade or codex is the only thing you should come in contact with. I have a page on DE on my BYC page (last page) that tells you what it is.

The food grade has about 1 to 2 percent of the little critters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I've been using food grade DE with my chickens, rabbits, dog and self since June 2007. If you get a chance, check out my page on how and where I use it (it contains links to several helpful articles also)...Food Grade DE

I've never had a problem with lice or mites in the flock as opposed to the land lady, who has a mini-farm behind us, and always seems to have these problems with her birds.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom