De-worming and Wazine Concern

I will take a picture of some cecal poop from my rooster that I know is free of worms.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Quote: Cecal poops are normal, just not as frequent. Mine usually do them twice a day.

"Food is taken in at the mouth, travels to the crop with some saliva where it is stored. Small amounts of food are passed to the proventriculus (acid-producing stomach) and then to the gizzard where it is ground up by already-eaten grit. Food then passes in to the small intestine for digestion. The two blind-ended parts of the gut, the caeca, are where a certain amount of fermentation of herbage takes place. The contents of the caeca are expelled about one in ten to normal droppings (about twice daily) and are a different colour and consistency. The paired kidneys produce solid waste matter called urates, deposited with normal droppings."

-Kathy

Ok so cecal poop is when something is amiss in the bowels?

Cecal poop digesta that was diverted to the cecum (like our appendix except cecum functional) to be processed by organisms of many species that can break down fibers of plants (selluloses) and arthropods (chitin). Products of value to chickens are volatile fatty acids and possibly vitamins. The cecum then periodically expels some of the by product separately from feces that took a more direct route through the digestive tract. The expelled digesta tends to be be very homogeneous and brown with a consistency that can vary from a gravy to pudding-like except very smelly

I wish there was a good source of cecal poop pictures. Here is one from a chicken chick that's about 4 days old:

And this is a regular poop from the same chick:

-Kathy

Cecal poop digesta that was diverted to the cecum (like our appendix except cecum functional) to be processed by organisms of many species that can break down fibers of plants (selluloses) and arthropods (chitin). Products of value to chickens are volatile fatty acids and possibly vitamins. The cecum then periodically expels some of the by product separately from feces that took a more direct route through the digestive tract. The expelled digesta tends to be be very homogeneous and brown with a consistency that can vary from a gravy to pudding-like except very smelly

Thanks, great info!

If you have more than one ant hole. Just get you the shovel and dig up one ant hole and put in it the other ant hole and watch them go into war. They will kill each other and your problem is over.

Is it absolutely necessary to retreat with Wazine? In trying to diagnose and treat a sick hen, we were told we should worm our entire flock. We have four hens, one of which hasn't laid in several months (she's the one that's currently sick) and two roosters. Anyway, I know I'm just supposed to suck it up and throw away the eggs, but do I really have to retreat and throw away all the eggs for two weeks AGAIN?

Back
Top Bottom