De-worming and Wazine Concern

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken-Jay, Jul 18, 2009.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

2. ManfreChickens

ManfreChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2015
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Hi All -

So I found this with my 4 week old chicks yesterday...

[​IMG]

Went to the feed store for more feed and to get some advice on what it could be. Showed the manager the picture, he recommended Wazine to deworm. The chicks are also still on medicated starter as well.

However, after getting home doing research on Wazine (mainly to figure out how to dose them, we only have 5 and the bottle gives the info for 100!), I am torn.

Would like some other opinions of this... thank you in advance!

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think it's one ounce per gallon.

-Kathy

4. RRLaney

RRLaney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    Round Rock, TX

Hey y'all. Know this is an old post but it has some great information! I'm on the ivermectin step of the worming process today, we did see roundworms about 2 weeks ago so we treated with Wazine. Was just going to do a second dose of Wazine but after reading this I bought ivermectin and I think I'd rather treat with that. So really I just want to ask whoever knows a little more on the dosing specifics. Can they be overdosed on ivermectin?
    I have 12 hens that were treated with Wazine.
    2 australorps (approx 7 lbs)
    5 sex links & 1 buff Orpington (approx 5-6 lbs)
    1 ~7 month old Cochin (maybe 3-4 lbs)
    1 18 week old faverolle (~3-4 lbs)
    1 18 week old Cochin (~3 lbs)
    1 tiny broody new hamshire red hen (she's definitely smaller than all the other but don't know her weight)
    Just worried about overdosing the little ones. Or not giving enough to the adults.
    Any experts on chicken sizes? I don't know what is considered a bantam or an average large fowl.
    Thanks!!

5. I know this is an old thread, but I suspect it is visited a lot (this is my first post ever, so bear with me please, if this has already been brought up). The question of Wazine and how long to wait to eat eggs got me thinking...what do they give people with worms? Piperazine! Here is a link from Mayo clinic with some dosage info: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/piperazine-oral-route/proper-use/DRG-20065522 I am a lot less concerned about eating eggs 2 or 3 weeks after Wazine treatment, since it is also used on humans. Not that I plan to have a Wazine cocktail anytime soon :)

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and thanks for the link!

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Piperazine

There is one study looking at piperazine residues in the eggs of treated hens. Piperazine is approved for use in laying hens in Australia and Canada at doses ranging from 130 to 200mg/kg/body weight one time and a zero day egg and meat withdrawal. In the US, since there is no tolerance, this withdrawal needs to be extended.

Source:http://www.usfarad.org/drug-wdi-faqs.html

1 person likes this.
  8. Kelsey c

Kelsey c New Egg

Jul 24, 2017
    My chickens aren't laying eggs currently. Probably won't for a few months bc they're so young. I just gave then wazine. But I want to eat their eggs once they lay them. Will they be ok to eat if I don't use wazine anymore?

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! In Canada Wazine *is approved* for use in laying hens, so don't worry about it! :D

10. Kelsey c

Kelsey c New Egg

Jul 24, 2017
    Oh thank you so much for reply. I was worried!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by