De-worming chickens.

That helps somewhat as I am familiar with rotating worming solutions with horses (although I don't worm as frequently as recommended to do my part in preventing resistance to wormers). So far my chickens get wormed about once a year since they are free ranged on a large area and kept in a large coop. I usually worm with wazine when they start to show slight signs of needing it. With my larger flock this year the wazine will be much easier to manage....dosing 85 chickens individually would just be too much. They get ACV, garlic, DE and several other preventative measures in between so they stay relatively healthy and happy and lay through the winter with no lights or supplemental heat. I do things much like my granny did and for the most part it is working pretty well. Thanks for all the info....I'm not at all familiar with meds and modern methods of doing things and probably need a lot more info. Thanks again. This is a great group!

jo

I worm my 50+ birds with Valbezan. I do so at night catch them from the roost have some one helping 2 - 3ml syringes, open the birds mouth helper squirts in .5ml, put the bird in the run until all are done.. Can do them all in 15 - 20 min. Do followup and repeat in 6 Months.

That helps somewhat as I am familiar with rotating worming solutions with horses (although I don't worm as frequently as recommended to do my part in preventing resistance to wormers). So far my chickens get wormed about once a year since they are free ranged on a large area and kept in a large coop. I usually worm with wazine when they start to show slight signs of needing it. With my larger flock this year the wazine will be much easier to manage....dosing 85 chickens individually would just be too much. They get ACV, garlic, DE and several other preventative measures in between so they stay relatively healthy and happy and lay through the winter with no lights or supplemental heat. I do things much like my granny did and for the most part it is working pretty well. Thanks for all the info....I'm not at all familiar with meds and modern methods of doing things and probably need a lot more info. Thanks again. This is a great group!

jo
Jo, for many the modern way is failing. many of the old methods work. My horse vets had a seminar a couple years ago: check each horse, then worm accordingly. No herd worming anymore. Healthy chickens and healthy horses can resist the internal parasites better.

I don't think Granny ever used a wormer besides herbs and things she already had. Wish she were here or I hadn't been so young and would have remembered more...But with what I've learned from her I've kept healthy flocks for years with very little chemical intrusion and they lay through the harshest winters and don't die except with old age. I think in trying to learn more modern methods I am finding the same thing....Arielle. The old methods work best and should certainly never have been abandoned. Sometimes, in my area, I'm the one that people come to for advice because my flock is doing so well....But I have little experience with disease since we have so little of it. I am very, very good at treating wounds and injuries since there are lots of animals here and lots of neighbors who don't have time to tend their own animals when they need more constant care. I will learn about some of the modern methods but keep using the old ones that seem to be working for me.

Mehjr- Oh, to have a couple of extra hands on occasion....a helper would be nice but hard to find.....
Your method sounds good but would not work for me. I've got my roosts, some very high cuz some of the chooks like it that way. ...some very wide to give all 85 ample room.... also would hate to put them in the runs in the middle of the night...dangerous. Wazine for now. Will look into a way to get them all individually at a later date. Thank you for the info....might need to reconfigure roosts and runs for this.

jo

I have done it on my own but takes a bit longer.. My roost are up to about 7 feet but I'm a tall guy. As soon as all of mine are wormed I open the poop door back up and they come to the light like the proverbial moth to the flame. But any how. Wazine will only kill the round worms which I am sure you are aware of.

Good Luck

Over here in the uk we use flubenvet. It's an all round wormer for domestic poultry - killing gapeworm, large roundworm, caecal worm, hair worm, and gizzard worm including larvae and eggs.

There's no withdrawal from eggs and 7 days for meat.

You mix up a batch of feed and they eat it for 7 days.
It's really easy :)

My question is from what age can you worm ? I have some babies that are 12-13 weeks and they are in with some adults that I would like to worm.
The instructions say that small birds will eat less than larger birds and so receive more or less medication according to their weight. It doesn't say an age though.
Will it be ok at 13 weeks ?

Last edited:
Over here in the uk we use flubenvet. It's an all round wormer for domestic poultry - killing gapeworm, large roundworm, caecal worm, hair worm, and gizzard worm including larvae and eggs.

There's no withdrawal from eggs and 7 days for meat.

You mix up a batch of feed and they eat it for 7 days.
It's really easy
smile.png

My question is from what age can you worm ? I have some babies that are 12-13 weeks and they are in with some adults that I would like to worm.
The instructions say that small birds will eat less than larger birds and so receive more or less medication according to their weight. It doesn't say an age though.
Will it be ok at 13 weeks ?
THey should be fine. THe labeling here requires the ages of the animals to be included for clarity. HOwever, the fact that smaller chickens eat less privides about the same mg of chemical/ pounds of body weight.

What is the chemical in the flubenvet???

Heya and thank you for your fast reply - I got them all done tonight, or rather their food is all mixed up for the next seven days and they start tomorrow so they will have sad puppy eyes as they can't have any treats till they are finished the course :)

The active ingredient is flubenzadole I believe.

Ok....whoa! So I'm new to chickens and this is first time I'm reading about worms. I just got my first 4 chickens from an auction. I don't know if they have been de-wormed. Can I give them the de-worming stuff just to be safe? Will it hurt them if they don't need it? The poo I've seen looks ok so I don't think I really need to but I'm guest asking. Also...do I de-worm randoming just to make sure they don't have them or I only de-worm when I know they have them?

Back
Top Bottom