DE

I would imagine all DE is organic to start with as it is mined from the earth and then processed by crushing and I believe some sort of heating. As suggested, the best way to be sure is to ask the manufacturerer. DE is used commercially for many things.

Have you already bought it? If you have and the people can't answer the question, you can use it effectively as an organic insecticide. It is great for ants. I would be sure before mixing it in the food.

Find the company phone number and call to see if it is food grade! I have searched and found that some add other things to it that will prevent it from being food grade. Get the name of the person that you speak to just in case if it turns out to be non food grade.
wee.gif

Make sure it is food grade before giving it to your chickens or using it around the coop.

DE is processed in many ways for many uses and can be poisonous to your animals if it is not food grade. The DE that is for swimming pools looks the same but it is NOT the same. DE used for other filters is not the same. It is poisonous.

The food grade packages should say something like -

CODEX Grade Fossil Shell Flour

I have only ever used the DE processed and packaged by Permaguard.

I trust it.

I purchase it through dirtworks.net

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

thanks for all the feed back!

I did find one feed store who new what I was talking about

the brand he had Red Lake! he said put it in the food of live stock but, there is only 65% DE in it
hmm.png

here is the site:
http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/redearth.htm

he was very nice and took 20lbs out of a 50lb bag for me & charged me $7

I figured if this wasn't strong enough it would at least get me started!

Please tell me what you think!

thanks in advance
big_smile.png

I don't know...looks kinda iffy. Here's a section of the Red Lake MSDS thing:

----------
"Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Short-term exposure not considered harmful. Drink generous amounts of water to
reduce bulk and drying effects."
----------

Real DE's MSDS doesn't have that at all. It says there's no harm from ingesting any.

That Red Lake stuff looks like it's meant for grain storage silos, to make the grain 'settle' easier and slide out the chute easier. If it were me, I wouldn't use that Red Lake stuff.

Back
Top Bottom