DE

Lorraine Perth

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 21, 2014
Perth Western Australia
I have started using DE for the first time. I am putting it in their feed and sprinkling in the coop and the laying boxes. My questions are do I feed it continuously i.e. every time I fill up the feed box add some and how often do I sprinkle it around the coop and laying boxes

I don't feed it. The effectiveness is much debated.
I sprinkle it every time I clean out the coop and nest boxes. Once it's in there, it won't go anywhere.

I would not feed It. I do sprinkle a bit when I clean out the hen house and I'm not even sure that is beneficial because I still got infiltration from a swarm of ants even through the DE. I really don't think feeding it would be beneficial at all. In fact it might be the opposite. Effectiveness is much debated. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Last edited:
I have started using DE for the first time. I am putting it in their feed and sprinkling in the coop and the laying boxes. My questions are do I feed it continuously i.e. every time I fill up the feed box add some and how often do I sprinkle it around the coop and laying boxes
In my opinion DE, as typically used, is nutritionally inert and does not impact internal parasites. Another source of dietary silica (glass) which DE is made of can be acquired by consuming many types of grass. If the mechanism of DE's action proves to real, it seems like consuming grass similar as caused by silica based phytoliths in the plant tissue.

Last edited:

I love DE (use food grade only) and it is basically used on my poop boards as a drying agent to keep the waste and boards dried as much as possible. I also will sprinkle DE on floor bedding or in the nest boxes from time to time. Sweet PDZ is another thing that I like to use on the poop boards. This is more of a sandy material as opposed to the power form of the DE. The Sweet PDZ keeps the coop smelling great. One more thing that I will use during the warm months is Python Dust. This helps control bugs and insects. All of these materials are safe to use with livestock and in the coop and keep them out of the Chicken feed (especially the Python Dust). I also use these in the goat sheds as well. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom