Dead 21 week old FBCM pullet

Thanks for the comments. I am new at this and have just started getting a couple eggs. My kids and wife have become very attached and when they die it is hard on them. Where would my birds picked up a virus like this? I have never had chickens before.
Unfortunately, although rare, it can be transferred via the droppings of wild birds. It can also be transferred by you coming in contact with a sick bird at a poultry show or farm and bringing home the virus on your clothes or shoes.

It depends where you got them from? If you got them as chicks from a large hatchery then they would almost certainly be clear of it at that stage. Chicks from private breeders are much more likely to have been exposed to Marek's, birds from auctions and swaps are more of a risk still but the virus can be carried on your clothes, shoes or skin or hair from the feed store or a local show. It can even be carried on the wind or if your property had previously housed poultry, it could already have been on the property. It really is incredibly common and widespread.

Back
Top Bottom