dead baby alive again

khgiant12

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
I know this story will sound almost unbelievable but its true. I hatched 20 giants about 2 months ago. A few days later 3 eggs of a different kind hatch. They were my grandsons eggs and he was so anxious to see what he had. I had my babies in a big tub under a light and I was afraid his couldnt live in with them as 3 or four days is a big difference with new baby chicks. So I put them inside another small tub inside the big one so they had heat and light too. Apparently they died from the heat. I was mad at myself for this. I set the little tub out and left them till morning . I had been checking on them all through the night and didnt realize they were hot. The babies were laying on their side legs stretched out one in from of the other like when they die and limp as could be. The little heads fell over when I picked them up. My husband come home next morning from work and said he thought he saw one move. I run to check it & gently picked it up and its eyes were closed and head hanging off my hand dead. He said it moved though so I sat it up wrapped a sock around it with its feet in a sitting position and under its little head to hold it up and waited. And oh my its eyes opened a little. From that point on I got an eye dropper and fed it kelp water every few minutes checking it and giving it a drop .. I was amazed how it come around after two days and then 3 and it was still alive at four days but wobbly . Cody my grandson would look at it and smile he couldnt believe it . No one thought I would save it but now its growing, running around the chicken tractor ,gets in there and eats with older chicks and doing fine. You cant tell it was ever sick or weak or behind in growth. Me and kelp water go together.

That's wonderful!
I picked up a "dead" chick in the run one day. Looked her over, but there was no sign of life. Took her over to my DH who looked at her and said she's alive! I ran and put her under he heat lamp and within minutes she recovered. Love it when that happens!

I am still hardly believing this chicken lived but it is special to me. Then my next worry was if it lived how would it be as far as laying or breeding if its a rooster but I think its going to be alright. Nothing could go through that and not be. Its a tough one.

I am very happy you saved the little chick.
I am very new at this and I am wondering about the kelp water you said you used. Can you tell me how you make it

I forgot I had these pictures I think this one is 2 days old,maybe next day I am not sure.

This is a couple of days later . I still get a little teary just to think how awesome this was. And is this not the sweetest picture!

Back
Top Bottom