Dead Bird in the Tractor

Missceegee

Songster
Jun 27, 2021
North Florida
I have 20 Cornish cross. This morning 1 stood off a bit and didn’t mob the feed and looked maybe a little sleepy. I just went out to move them again and top off water and one was dead. Not 100% sure it’s same one, but I assume so. Obviously, I removed it. Any thoughts on what it may have been? These birds are 5.5 weeks old and I plan to process at 8.

I have 20 Cornish cross. This morning 1 stood off a bit and didn’t mob the feed and looked maybe a little sleepy. I just went out to move them again and top off water and one was dead. Not 100% sure it’s same one, but I assume so. Obviously, I removed it. Any thoughts on what it may have been? These birds are 5.5 weeks old and I plan to process at 8.
Cornish X can be difficult to raise to complete harvesting age because they can have a lot of heart/mobility issues. If you fed them a lot early on it could of caused them to gain to much weight to quickly, leading to heart failure.

If you process the dead one or do an autopsy, post some pictures and some of the others on here may be able to help you figure out the exact cause of death.

Keep an eye out for regular old illnesses too. Watch the other birds and make sure no one's sneezing, drooling, lethargic etc. Hope this helps!

Cornish X can be difficult to raise to complete harvesting age because they can have a lot of heart/mobility issues. If you fed them a lot early on it could of caused them to gain to much weight to quickly, leading to heart failure.

If you process the dead one or do an autopsy, post some pictures and some of the others on here may be able to help you figure out the exact cause of death.

Keep an eye out for regular old illnesses too. Watch the other birds and make sure no one's sneezing, drooling, lethargic etc. Hope this helps!
Thank you. I’m not gonna process this one due to other time commitment tonight and tomorrow. But I will be watching.

Could be any number of things. Sometimes just happens for uncontrollable reasons with cornish x. Keep an eye on manure loading, clean water, dry food etc - but generally nothing to be concerned about if it's just one.

Back
Top Bottom