Dead chick and chick gasping for air

I second not overusing antibiotics. If you do start them, you'll have to run a full course of them and I'm not even sure what that would be.

How many eggs did you incubate? I assume more than the 3 that hatched so maybe there was a problem with the nutrition level of the mom? She can be perfectly healthy for her and still not have quite the right nutrition to make good hatching eggs, so it wouldnt be your fault or anything.

I second not overusing antibiotics. If you do start them, you'll have to run a full course of them and I'm not even sure what that would be.

How many eggs did you incubate? I assume more than the 3 that hatched so maybe there was a problem with the nutrition level of the mom? She can be perfectly healthy for her and still not have quite the right nutrition to make good hatching eggs, so it wouldnt be your fault or anything.
They hatched in a group of five and I purchased 3 of them they are tolbunt polish. The one still struggling makes a noise when he breaths sort of like clicking. I saw it could be brooder pneumonia which the only thing I found to do was dose them with antibiotics to prevent a secondary infection. I noticed some sneezes. didn’t think much of it until this morning when one was dead. I’ve completely cleaned everything. The largest chick seems very healthy.

I’m also wondering about the smaller chicks umbilical cord and if that could be infected?

that’s my reasoning for trying antibiotics. The sick chick is eating and drinking some but not as much as the other one.

I have made a mash and have added scrambled egg. Which the sick chick seems to prefer over the normal starter.

I’m also wondering about the smaller chicks umbilical cord and if that could be infected?

that’s my reasoning for trying antibiotics. The sick chick is eating and drinking some but not as much as the other one.

I have made a mash and have added scrambled egg. Which the sick chick seems to prefer over the normal starter.
I am concerned about the "cord" as I have never heard of it still being attached at a week. I believe it would be unabsorbed yolk sack which could absolutely gather bacteria and bring it into the chick. I dont know enough to suggest a course of action though, so sit tight on that until someone does

As for scrambled eggs, great idea, totally fine, but the chicks will need grit asap if fed anything other than chick starter.

A lot of the respiratory diseases (sneezing) are a big deal - more so if they get introduced into your flock, so definitely keep these two separated from any other birds you do have and wash your hands before touching your other birds.

It is most likely brooder pneumonia. The second chick died later that night after having several seizures. From my research for it to be an issue at 7-10 days they were exposed during incubation. I talked to the man that sold him and he insisted he’s never had issues. Looking at pictures he posted you can clearly see black mold growing in his coop.

learned a hard lesson here. I strongly advise anyone around the Houston area not buy from the guy with tolbunt polish on Craigslist who lives in cut-n-shoot.

Back
Top Bottom