Dead chick and chick gasping for air

Htxchicks

Songster
Nov 29, 2020
I woke up to find one of my polish chicks dead. The temperature was in range and he had been fine the last night but I had noticed he was the runt. I was observing then to figure out how the rest of the chicks are and I have one that seems to be gasping. Right now I have them living on puppy pads that’s I clean daily. Medicated Purina starter.

I think maybe it’s a respiratory issue I will be going to tractor supply promptly at opening if anyone has advice let me know!

Questions for you. Age of chicks, number of chicks, size of brooder and what temperature is 'in range'?
Is there just a warm spot and the rest of the brooder cool?

Questions for you. Age of chicks, number of chicks, size of brooder and what temperature is 'in range'?
Is there just a warm spot and the rest of the brooder cool?
One side of the brooder said 90 and the other 85 . When I found the dead chick this morning. At first I suspected failure to thrive because he was the smallest. One of the chicks still has an attached cord and gets pasty butt and that is the one that is having a hard time breathing. I have the brooder up to 95 around the whole thing now. There are just 2 chicks left and they are one week today.

they are in a stock tank brooder that has an open top.

Last edited:
I know I should separate them so the healthy chick doesn’t get sick but I am worried about the stress this will cause they would both be alone. You can tell the one when he is just standing there or you hold him you can see how deep he has to breathe. I saw the sick ones stool and it was solid.

I woke up to find one of my polish chicks dead. The temperature was in range and he had been fine the last night but I had noticed he was the runt. I was observing then to figure out how the rest of the chicks are and I have one that seems to be gasping. Right now I have them living on puppy pads that’s I clean daily. Medicated Purina starter.

I think maybe it’s a respiratory issue I will be going to tractor supply promptly at opening if anyone has advice let me know!
loss.jpg

I would have a larger brooder where the cool side of it can be cooler. I know people recommend super high temps in the first week, but I have never found this to be true. Are you sure the chick is gasping for air, or is it panting? All you need to do is leave a heat lamp on one side, and nothing on the other so they can completely get away from the heat if they want. Don’t regulate the temp; let the chicks tell you. A cold chick will cheep incessantly (then you would lower the heat lamp), a chick that’s too hot will hold its wings out and pant. Then you would raise the heat lamp.

I would have a larger brooder where the cool side of it can be cooler. I know people recommend super high temps in the first week, but I have never found this to be true. Are you sure the chick is gasping for air, or is it panting? All you need to do is leave a heat lamp on one side, and nothing on the other so they can completely get away from the heat if they want. Don’t regulate the temp; let the chicks tell you. A cold chick will cheep incessantly (then you would lower the heat lamp), a chick that’s too hot will hold its wings out and pant. Then you would raise the heat lamp.

yes they refuse to stay on the cool side. only one of them pants and when I raise the lamp higher they group together.

I am thinking maybe doxycycline but they only have the cow kind At TSC and I’m not sure how to dose it.

Do the chicks have a known bacteria infection that has been diagnosed?
If not, don't medicate for an unknown problem. That is how superbugs are created.
It is very unlikely for a chick that young in a brooder to have a bacterial infection.
In the US alone there are 2.8 million human infections and 35,000 deaths per year from antibiotic resistant bacteria.

New report calls for urgent action to avert antimicrobial resistance crisis (who.int)

I know I should separate them so the healthy chick doesn’t get sick but I am worried about the stress this will cause they would both be alone.
Honestly having chicks alone is really annoying and sad with all the cheeping so I wouldn't do it unless you have to. If you do have to, I've heard a mirror (peck proof) or a stuffed animal can help.

Back
Top Bottom