dead chick. Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickDaze, Jun 1, 2011.

1. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I recently got 6 leghorns and a bantam of a breed i dont know from TSC. Yesterday, my dogs killed the banny and one leghorn. (three are missing.) i want a new banny roo. it was black with a white stripe down its front. it looked like it had a shaved bottom when it was 2 weeks old. it looked like it had tiny speckles on its head.i am decently sure it had slate legs. it had a single comb that didn't flop over. i need an online site that will supply me with a mix and match option, a definite roo, and it would be nice if it was cheap. any suggestions? What is my banny? Thanks!

2. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    Sorry for you loss. Your bantam might have been an Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantam. When youngish they are black with a white stripe, have single combs, and black legs. Not sure about the head speckles. Do you have any pics from when he was alive?

3. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    sorry for your loss, same thinghappened tomy cousin and [​IMG] .

4. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    you might could ask the TSC you got tem from to order more.

5. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:I have a silver duckwing bantam......here are pics at different ages up to 5 weeks...mine is a ROO too...I am sorry for your loss, hope the pics help ID
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. ChickDaze

Jun 1, 2011
    he looked like this. i don't have a close up of him, but these/this might help. it may be he only had the stripe when he was younger...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  7. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    There are many many birds that have a chipmonk stripe when they are young...and from that far off of a shot you cannot see the side, or top and hard to tell the color.....I am really sorry Iam not much help....Does he look at all like the pics I posted?

8. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    That chick would have feathered in pitch black so any bantam breed with a straight comb & black coloring should do it for you. The white would have disappeared when he got his adult feathers.

9. ChickDaze

Jun 1, 2011
    he looked a little like them. that may be it. he just had a black head and not so much the feather stripes at all. i'll see if i can find a site that sells black bantam roos and RIR pullets. thank you a lot! i am sure my two survivors will love having a new flock in a few weeks! [​IMG]

i have been looking around,and i saw that black andalusians look a lot like him. they come in a bantam variety. the thing is, andalusians are for the most part blue. breeding two blues will get me a 25% chance of a black. i can't find a common hatchery that does any color other than blue, oreven has it in bantams. i have been looking at true bantams, but they don't look like him. what to do!?! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  10. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    He wasn't an Andalusian. However, see if anyone sells black Old English Game Bantams which is what he might have been or call up a hatchery & ask if they can get you a black bantam cockerel that isn't a cochin (they are feather legged so they will look different to him) & see what breeds they offer you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by