Dead chicken and water looks weird

I put DE (diatomaceous earth) everywhere
I used diatamtios earth
Yes, I understand that you used DE, it was in your posts. Unfortunately, DE will not be that effective against and infestation. Your hen had Nits (Lice egg) attached to her feathers, so a sprinkling of DE in the dust bathing area is not going to get rid of the parasites.

When you can, I do recommend that you try to get Permethrin and treat all your birds as well as their housing. They will be much more comfortable and healthier too.
Since you did find lice on the body and I do see lice nits on the feathers, I'd recommend that you go ahead and treat the rest of your chickens and their housing to get on top of any infestation that may be brewing.

You can find Permethrin based poultry spray and dust at your local feed store or at TSC.

You can buy dust, premixed spray or concentrate that you mix yourself, any of these are affect in getting rid of lice/mites when you follow the direction on the label of the product and repeat treatment of birds and housing in 5-7 days intervals. Do keep in mind that it's necessary to clean out their housing of old bedding and treat roosting bars and nesting boxes too. Getting rid of the parasites will make your birds more comfortable and they will be healthier without the bugs.

Here's some examples of what you may find at TSC.

1693797335194.png
1693797319754.png
1693797305226.png

Yes, I understand that you used DE, it was in your posts. Unfortunately, DE will not be that effective against and infestation. Your hen had Nits (Lice egg) attached to her feathers, so a sprinkling of DE in the dust bathing area is not going to get rid of the parasites.

When you can, I do recommend that you try to get Permethrin and treat all your birds as well as their housing. They will be much more comfortable and healthier too.
I made a home made remedy (essential oils) and used a medicine I found we had for them and they only have lice on their wings I’m spraying again now

I'd be curious to know what essential oils were used, as well as what medication(s), and would very much like to see "after" photos to show that these treatments were effective. I'm always eager to learn new things.
Orange essential oil and the medicine was vetx for respiratory since some had snot but surprisingly the amount of mites went down when I used it

O.k.
Hopefully you'll be able to get rid of them.
Keep us posted.
I will almost lost my whole flock yesterday something dug up the dead chicken dragged it under my neighbours shed and when I went outside to lock them up right before sunset I found them screaming and stressed with two missing hens I found hiding on their window shade so I grabbed my b-b gun and shot it (the BB gun is for scaring I’d be lucky to kill a squirrel with it)

I am actually a believer in scented oils. We have horrible invasions of ladybird beetles at certain times of the year, I think it is in the fall. Somebody told me they don't like lemon oil. Essential oils are expensive. So I used lemon oil furniture polish. I put some in a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish soap to emulsify the oil. I sprayed around the inside of my windows* where they were crawling by the thousands. It's like a nightmare. The "ladybugs" dropped like stones and went belly-up instantly! Even the bugs that were not directly sprayed died if they crawled across where the window had been sprayed. This was about 5 or 6 years ago, and to this day I still do not get ladybird beetles when everyone else does.

*Edit: I sprayed the walls and frames around my windows, inside the house.

Those are products I woukd use. There is no guarantee diatamious will work by itself. I may have been a little extreme with how I handled. I however wanted the mites gone . Scrub ..spray ..and dust chickens. New bedding.
Right now I have a chick about 3 months old that keeps turning summersaults and now that I quarented the little lady I have observed she is doing this on purpose ...I was afraid it was wry kneck. She is definately flipping on purpose..I just don't know why.

Back
Top Bottom