Dead chicken every day

vigario

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
I let my hens, and three roosters, free range over 1.5 acres. For the past week I have found a dead chicken, almost every day, near the far fence with its belly eaten out. Sometimes I just find parts of a chicken. My neighbor has called me at work and said, "Vultures in your pasture again, must have lost another hen." Any ideas on what it is? They don't carry the away.

Thanks.

Mark

Last edited:
I can't help much but just wanted to say sorry for your losses. You may want to think about building them a run. I have a nice one for my chickens and haven't had any animal related losses since we got them nearly 2 years ago.

I let my hens, and three roosters, free range over 1.5 acres. For the past week I have found a dead chicken, almost every day, near the far fence with its belly eaten out. Sometimes I just find parts of a chicken. My neighbor has called me at work and said, "Vultures in your pasture again, must have lost another hen." Any ideas on what it is? They don't carry the away.

Thanks.

Mark
Mark, show a picture of "belly". If daytime suspect hawk.

Thanks for your responses. I am in the process of building a 1600 sq/ft run, but love to have them free range.

MV

My chickens free ranged into autumn, but I had to move them into their large run when the hawks became a problem. They were very unhappy and pulled each others' feathers out. Now that the trees have leafed out, there is enough cover for them and they are ecstatic to be outside again, but looking bald. I have decided to look upon the occasional loss as a flock rotation tool. Can you keep your flock out of open areas without penning them up?

Back
Top Bottom