Dead chicken in coop

Kimber_Leeann

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2020
I’ve had 5 chickens for about 1 month. I believe they are about 4 months old according to the guy I got them from. When I went to let them out this morning I found one dead in the coop. No visible trauma and I always close them up at night to protect from predators. I’m still feeding them starter feed but had to buy a different brand last weekend as tractor supply was out of the kind I usually buy. Any idea what could have happened? She was my favorite and I feel terrible but now I want to be sure the rest of my girls aren’t in danger. Thanks for the advice!

Sorry for your loss. Did the chicken lay eggs yet, or have any obvious issue, such as a large crop, or vent issue? If you can keep her body in a cooler, wrapped in 2 garbage bags on ice (don’t freeze,) then on Monday morning, you can contact your state poultry vet for a necropsy. Sometimes a home necropsy can help you see some obvious problem if you are familiar with doing one. There are videos online and we can help. Egg binding, vent pecking, or a heart problem can be some common causes for a young pullet to die. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Just wanted to update...My neighbor did a home necropsy for me and it turns out she ate a screw, which perforated her stomach. I had been working on the roof of the coop and I must have lost track of my screws. I feel so terrible about it but I’m relieved that my other girls aren’t in danger.

Goo thing you found the culprit, don't beat you self up, it was totally an accident and will help you protect you chickens in the future, make sure you never leave any string, glass, wire, or anything sharp in there run. String will get tangled in there intestines, and cause death, and glass, or another sharp object can puncture something like the screw did. Sorry of your loss, you did the best you could, and sometimes we learn the hard way. *hugs* Avery

Back
Top Bottom