Dead chicken, purpleish-red comb. Do you know why she died? Poor thing!!

Apr 16, 2020
Northern Florida
I went out to check on the chickens ( on wednesday) and found one of my sweet girls dead:th ( R.I.P , my sweet girl). She had a purpleish- red comb and no obvious cuts on the outside of her body and no broken neck. The day before she was acting fine, It's so sad how suddden chickens can die! :hitI know there could be many reasons i just want to know what the most prominante options could be. I was worried it could be a disease so i've been watching my other girls closly ( we're down to only 3 girls now:hit) I havent seen any problems with them. Thank you in advance, I miss my sweet girl so much, ( her name is...... was, laya, she was a buff orpington and a sweet, light weight girl).

Sudden death in otherwise apparently healthy birds is generally from a non infectious cause. Purple comb - perhaps a heart attack. Good luck with the rest of your flock.

Sudden death in otherwise apparently healthy birds is generally from a non infectious cause. Purple comb - perhaps a heart attack. Good luck with the rest of your flock.
Thank you, I did some reasearch and was wondering that too. Do you know why that would happen with her because she was a pretty light weight girl?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom