dead chicken this morning

poulet

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
found chicken dead thismorning she didn't eat yesterday and has had diahrea but went downhill very fast yesterday put her in the coop and found her dead in there thismorning
hit.gif
none of the others seen ill but will have to keep close eye on them.Don't know what it could be .
I don't know what the symtoms of bird flu are, don't think it is that but I live in south of France so have to be careful.

Last edited:
Any chance she could have eaten some old food or something else that could have been poison/toxin?

To go that fast, all I can think of is poisoning, botulism, or toxic plant.

Sorry,
Matt

Oh, how sad :aww. I know from experience, it's hard to lose one of your babies and not know why. It happened to me just 2 wks ago. Just keep a close eye on the others.

Diahrea... was she thin? If she was thin, it could have been cocci. I do believe AI is a longer slower more sickly looking death, so I doubt it is that. Any external injuries?

I'm sorry for your loss!

I had the same thing happen to me last week. One afternoon she was laying on her side but she got up and ate a little. The next day she died.
I even asked my vet about it and he had no idea what could have caused it.

Kim

She had eaten well just up until yesterday, and was far from thin , she was a big chicken , I don't know the breed in English they call them cou plumes here which translates as neck feathers but actually they have no feathers on there necks, they lay well and are also big so more meat on them to eat too. She could have eaten somthing inthe compost as they have free access to the heap and love delving in there. I put some eggs from the bator in there that were bad any chance if she had eaten them that would have caused it ?

P.S how do I copy a pic from photoshop onto the messege board ?
hu.gif

Sounds like what we call a "naked neck" or "turken". It is possible she got into something and it didn't agree with her. Sometimes birds are also very good at hiding sickness so she could have just given out and died.

To upload pics...

1) Save your photoshop picture using "save as" to a .jpg.

2) Get a online image hosting site such as imagebuket, and upload the .jpg onto that.

3) Once uploaded, copy the URL they give you here.

This here has some more details. It's under the FAQ

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

Back
Top Bottom