Dead chicken - too cold???

Jenny421

Songster
May 21, 2021
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this question. One of our white amber star hens died in the coop last night. She’s about 9 months old. She was acting perfectly normal yesterday and I did not notice anything off with her. We got our normal number of eggs yesterday. I didn’t see any injuries on her body. We are in Georgia between Macon and Atlanta. It was rainy all day yesterday and it got down to maybe 32-35 last night. Could she have been too cold? The coop has ventilation around the top on 3 sides and a small window on one side. I’m wondering if we need to get a heater for the coop? We are using our brooder heater for the ducks because their coop isn’t as well designed and it gets colder.

Attachments

• 2356CF7E-321E-4491-A9F6-71E014B4F274.jpeg
    2356CF7E-321E-4491-A9F6-71E014B4F274.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 32F8195B-E1E2-459B-9F21-499C72AEED6C.jpeg
    32F8195B-E1E2-459B-9F21-499C72AEED6C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Do your chickens get to sleep huddled up together? The cold is not nearly as dangerous as the moisture.

-Can you smell any ammonia if you stick your head in the coop?
-You should open the window of the coop at night. Chickens can withstand way colder air that is dry.
-consider a humidity guage to check

Id hate to see you lose anymore chickens. But it was likely humidity, lack of oxygen, etc. They generate a lot of CO2, ammonia, and moisture and ventilation needs to be a lot.

Do your chickens get to sleep huddled up together? The cold is not nearly as dangerous as the moisture.

-Can you smell any ammonia if you stick your head in the coop?
-You should open the window of the coop at night. Chickens can withstand way colder air that is dry.
-consider a humidity guage to check

Id hate to see you lose anymore chickens. But it was likely humidity, lack of oxygen, etc. They generate a lot of CO2, ammonia, and moisture and ventilation needs to be a lot.
They do sleep together on a roost. I could smell a little ammonia yesterday but not that much. We cleaned the coop not that long ago. I added more shavings yesterday. The window we have is always open. We do have a door that we close. I could always leave that open too if you think more ventilation is needed. There is about a 3 inch opening all around the top edge of the coop (covered in hardware cloth). It’s hard to see in the picture because we painted the wire black. A humidity gauge is a good idea! They were all fine this morning when I let them out. I was hoping I didn’t find anymore dead ones.

My chickens live in a hoop house covered on 3 sides. I put heat on with ceramic bulb size heaters when it drops below about 15 degrees. Large parts of the year are below 32 degrees.

I don’t think cold was the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom