1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dead chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eggfooyung, Nov 24, 2015.

1. eggfooyung

eggfooyung Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    I got new pullets end of june, and one of the buff orpingtons started staying on the nest all the time, i'd take her out and she'd eat, poke around, then get back in. i assumed she was broody. but she just died today. no signs of any specific illness. how do i determine what happened?

2. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    It sounds like she was egg bound. Was she laying before she died?

3. eggfooyung

eggfooyung Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    unfortunately i could never tell, she would sit on all the eggs and i never knew which one was hers. my coop isn't big enough to separate her, but maybe i should get a small mobile coop or something to isolate a sick girl.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have been broody so long that she became weak. How long had she been sitting in the nest box? She also may have been egg bound or had some internal problem such as heart disease that killed her. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by