Dead chicken

Bouie55

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2020
I went out this morning to feed my chickens, all of them were fine. They were all running around. When I went in tonight to check on them , one of them was dead. Nothing got at her, she had no marks on her. I just don’t understand how a chicken is fine one minute and dead the next. Does anyone have any insight on this? She was my favorite too 😢

Sorry for your loss. All chicken owners will lose a chicken now and then to an unknown cause. Sometimes they will have some symptoms that we don’t always recognize. Crop disorders and reproductive disorders including cancer, salpingitis, and egg yolkmperitonitis, can be common in hens. Some of us do our own necropsies to learn more about what went wrong. But the state vets can do a more thorough necropsy to look at organs and do histology with cultures to look for infectious diseases.

Sorry for your loss.
How old were your chickens and what exactly did you feed on a daily basis?

Sorry for your loss.
How old were your chickens and what exactly did you feed on a daily basis?
She was just 2 years old. We feed them layer crumbles and scratch with oyster shells, we also put electrolytes in their water

I went out this morning to feed my chickens, all of them were fine. They were all running around. When I went in tonight to check on them , one of them was dead. Nothing got at her, she had no marks on her. I just don’t understand how a chicken is fine one minute and dead the next. Does anyone have any insight on this? She was my favorite too 😢

I'm so sorry Bouie. Sending love your way!!❤

It is good to spend some time with them and look at crops to make sure they are emptying overnight, vents for any soiling, check for lice or mites occasionally, watch for unusual droppings, make sure they are eating and drinking, and to make sure they are not acting lethargic or sepearting themselves. Of course many chickens do not like to be handled, but at night on the roost when they are sleeping can be a good time to look them over or give any treatments or medications. Still, it is hard to just lose one in the prime of their lives.

She was just 2 years old. We feed them layer crumbles and scratch with oyster shells, we also put electrolytes in their water
When you say with do you meant hat you feed scratch every day?
How much scratch were you feeding?
Also oyster shell isn't really needed if you are feeding a LAYER type feed.

Electrolytes are not meant for daily use.

Back
Top Bottom