dead chicken

Arizorna Chicken

Hatching
Jul 25, 2020
Hi, I am a new chicken owner. We started out with 14 sex link chickens. We thought we were doing well but at 7 weeks one of the chickens had trouble walking. After a few days we culled her. All was good for a while and then at about 12 or 13 weeks one did not look like she was feeling well during the day and we lost her the next morning. Now yesterday at 16 weeks old, we lost one and another is not looking well, lethargic and not moving much just laying in the coop. At first she was on the roost bar but moved to the floor. The other chickens are very active as usual all eating normal. It has been in the high 90s here in Arizona, and we finally had a big thunder storm yesterday. I am at a loss. We were wondering if sex link chickens have a higher mortality rate or if they cannot take the heat well? I read that some have problems when coming into the laying age.

Hmm...I do not have experience with sex link chickens, but hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along shortly. I am sorry you lost a couple of your chickens.:hugs

Also, Welcome to BYC!:welcome

We had 22 sex link chick's they all died. Has something to do with the mutation. They last only 2 years, and they stopped laying, most farmers don't bother with buying them.
I'll never Buy sex link again! Sorry for your loss.

Hi, I am a new chicken owner. We started out with 14 sex link chickens. We thought we were doing well but at 7 weeks one of the chickens had trouble walking. After a few days we culled her. All was good for a while and then at about 12 or 13 weeks one did not look like she was feeling well during the day and we lost her the next morning. Now yesterday at 16 weeks old, we lost one and another is not looking well, lethargic and not moving much just laying in the coop. At first she was on the roost bar but moved to the floor. The other chickens are very active as usual all eating normal. It has been in the high 90s here in Arizona, and we finally had a big thunder storm yesterday. I am at a loss. We were wondering if sex link chickens have a higher mortality rate or if they cannot take the heat well? I read that some have problems when coming into the laying age.
Sex linked chickens are a hybrid “breed” and are usually very hardy. They are bred to lay a copious amount of eggs, which does take a toll on their bodies. Have you noticed any bloody poop? I would treat them all with Corid for coccidiosis (even if this is not the issue it will not hurt them). They should be switched to layer feed in another 2 to 3 weeks. What are you feeding them now??

That’s not necessarily the case that they only last 2 years. The average life expectancy for a sex linked chicken is 3 to 5 years, but with proper care they can live up to 8 years.
Ours lasted 2 years. That's what the hatchery mentioned. They stop laying after two years. Most farmers don't buy them. I didn't know at the time, when we purchased them. The next purchase with be Azure Blue hens they last up to 10 years

Back
Top Bottom