dead chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2chick, Oct 4, 2013.

1. 2chick

2chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Oh man............... one of my GLWs died when I forgot to close the door for the chicken coop.ate by a cat,I think.hope i can replace it with another one. don't have a picture,even. Just started laying today and was killed on its' nest Can't believe it . I feel bad for leting it go free range every day and night

2. bird-brain

bird-brain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    North GA
    Sorry for your loss. Chickens are vulnerable to many types of predators. Their instinct to sit very still when it is dark makes them especially vulnerable when the sun goes down. They don't often flee danger at night so they are the chicken version of a sitting duck.

I have forgotten to lock my coop up at night. Many of us have. I'm lucky in that I have herding dogs that keep watch over the coop and also stand guard during the day when they free range. Losing one to a predator like this usually makes us certain NOT to forget to lock up at night.

While I never recommend leaving chickens out at night, I do advocate free ranging in the day. I believe they are happier when allowed to just be chickens. I'm very fortunate that my dogs take such good care of mine.

People without built in babysitters have to be a bit more careful and "free ranging all night" is probably not the safest way to go. It's a hard loss. All we can do is learn from it and do what we can to make them as safe as possible.

I've lost hens to neighborhood dogs who chewed through coop wire before I was set up for my own dogs to have access to my whole property. I have good roosters though and cats have never been a problem. ;)

3. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    Kill the cat and get an automatic door opener so you won't forget. ...

1 person likes this.
  4. 2chick

2chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    roosters aren't allowed in my city

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by