1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dead chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cher1190, Sep 6, 2014.

1. cher1190

cher1190 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    This morning my husband went out to get our chickens ready for the day, we keep them in an enclosed coop closed up at night and )their run is attached to the coop, No predators can get in so we don't know what happened. We do have a rooster, he is a Delaware X Hampshire Cross (Indian River). Anyway, when my husband went in the coop she was laying across the pan we have their oyster shells in, and he said her feathers were all ruffled a lot at her neck where the rooster pecks them . He seems to think the
    Rooster was trying to peck her while she was eating the oyster shell and it either broke her neck or choked her and she died, I am just heart broken poor little thing was only 5 months old and we have them tamed, except for rudy, he is flighty. Any suggestions as to what happened would be greatly appreciated. She was not sick or sickly in any way. so an illness is not a factor.[​IMG]

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful learning center [​IMG]

Chickens do that and a fealing I know all to well and so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry for your loss. (hugs) It is possible the bird somehow died and the others pecked at her after she died. Cannibalism is common in chickens. If they see skin or blood, they go after it. I know it sounds awful, but this is how they deal with dead flock members. Don't think poorly of your flock either.

Is this an adult rooster? It is possible he hurt her if he is large enough. I am so sorry and I hope your heavy heart can heal soon. (hugs)

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry for your loss![​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your hen :hugs

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your hen. [​IMG] She may have had a heart attack, or it is possible that she was injured by another bird. Sometimes chickens die for reasons that we will never know.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry about your hen. [​IMG]

9. cher1190

cher1190 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    No Rudy is the same age as the chickens, he is a big boy , but not enormous. The only place she had ruffled up feathers was around her neck where Rudy would have pecked her. I just am upset, the poor little thing was only 5 months old and had started laying around 3 weeks ago, its the first one we have lost, and I worry about them . It's hot here but we have fans in their coop with the windows open to help with that plus 2 water spots plus we move the water inside with them at night so they never go without it. There was no blood or missing feathers, could she have choked on an oyster shell? Just worried....

10. My Hens and Roo

My Hens and Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Cornelius Oregon
    My Coop
    One morning about 5 or 6 months after we first began keeping chickens, I had a similar experience as you. My favorite of all favorites, Gert, a Buff Orp lay in the coop dead as can be. I never suspected our roo because the two came to us together at 2 days old and he never had much interest in mating her, and was her best friend. I do recall the day before. Gertrude scored a pile of termites. She was at the end of the pecking order but still, that girl was going to be darned if she was going to share her find. I've since learned a chicken can easily die of kidney failure from a rush of protein. It's the only thing I can think happened. She too went to her coop the night before perfectly young and healthy. I was absolutely heartbroken!
    In reality, I'll never know!
    These gals steal your heart in a big way. Most here know your pain in a big way.
    You have come to the right place.
    Welcome
    I am truly sorry for what you are feeling right now.
    Just know, this happens sometimes. It is doubtful that her flock mates did anything to purposely harm her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by