Dead chickens this morning

squatfisher

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
I went ouside to check on my flock this morning and had 7 dead juvnile birds (almost 4 months old) and a dead 4 year old turkey. They free range in a well fenced in pasture and I have had no issues with predators since I built the fence. There was no sign of a struggle or predation on any of the chicks. They were all intact with no ruffled feathers or missing body parts. The turkey was being pecked at by by the older birds, but no other damage other than that. I have about 6 other birds from the same hatch that appear to be fine and none of my 20+ other adult birds seem ill. All birds were fine last night and were eating normally. I did feed them out of a new bag of scratch grains last night. I live in the VA mountains in the southern Shenandoah Valley and have had a lot of rain recently (coccidia?). I did notice some large white mushrooms that sprouted overnight, but none seem to have been eaten. Any theories?

Hey Squatfisher, glad to see you posted your ?? here (I was going to suggest that!) Hopefully someone can help. Can you empty the new bag and check for mold? Also I would contact the company of the new scratch just to make sure there haven't been others with problems and to let them know.

Hi, a month ago I had 3 die overnight, looked fine the day before. When I picked them up, the blood poured out their vents. Coccidiosis. Sometimes the symptoms are just hours before death. There can be no blood or lots of blood.

I would treat them all as a precaution-even if they are on medicated feed.

Lost one more yesterday. Took a fecal sample and it was full of capilliary (hair) worms. Treating everyone with fenbazole (safeguard goat wormer). Hope that does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom