Dead chickens

We have a guard Llama in with our chickens, the pen is about 120' x 80', during the day we hook the gate so the chickens can go freely in & out (Lama won't even try), there's a tree in there with a couple of chicken houses, and during the hot weather I run the sprinkler in the afternoon.

At night I lock the gate and the Llama chases anything that comes near the pen (even mistook me one night) and tried to chase me. They make a Jurassic Park kind of cry that would wake the dead, and I always keep a window open, so I can hear any sign of trouble.

I have a question though...I've had a rooster with my hens since last summer, and no babies? We now have a second rooster, and they seem like buds, but the new guy steals a hen once in a while and kinda stays with the hens he came with, is it too late for babies OCT 16th???

My experience has been that weasels are the cause of bloody necks pulled through the fence. I have lost whole birds also, and that is usually raccoons. I solved both problems by in season trapping for 4 years. No problems since (10 years at least).
I also have covered runs constructed of chain link fencing and tight coops.
Keep trapping, you will catch a coon. Weasels don't weigh enough to trip Havaharts.

A guard Lama...sounds exotic..
smile.png

I got new chicks (a week tomorrow) who are currently residing in the basement until they are a bit older. The one remaining hen seems to be doing fine at this point, but she is probably lonely, at least until I put the new chicks in with her....

Nothing trapped yet except a very small 'possum.....

Back
Top Bottom