Dead chickens

newbie100

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 29, 2014
I woke up Thursday morning and found 1 hen and 1 cockroll dead, these were happy jumping around the garden on Wednesday night, also another hen was just slumped on coop floor so I have brought her in and she is so week she won't stand on her own and I have to hand feed her and only way she will drink is off a spoon, anyone have any idears on what this could be? I have 1 other cock and 3 hens in the coop and they seem ok for now.
Thanks

Runny green poo means she isn't eating enough or ate ALOT of greens. You may need to make her eat, even tube feeding her. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Go get Corid or Amprol and treat Cocci, your birds are the right age for it to "bloom" it can kill fast. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

Get electrolytes, probiotics, and Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother in it, non pastureized vinegar. Will say on the label and have a dark cloudy mass on bottom (the mother). Shake it before adding to water. Give this to them after treated for cocci not during so meds can get into them. About 1T to a gal of water or a bit more.

After treatment time I use Poultry Nutridrench in water, or a drop or two directly in mouth. Vitamin B to help absorb nutrients. Wet feed with water can add the vitamins in it, or the acv. Let it soak up the water mix it well add more water so it is like oatmeal. Can also add yogurt to the feed to mush it up, they will make a mess of it.

Get them treated as soon as you can, will be in feed store fairly large bottles or powders. When they are healthy worm with Valbazen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/valbazen-500ml

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/917698/valbazen-dosage

Good luck!

Sorry for your loss!

Did you do a check over of the dead birds, see any drainage from mouth, butt, strange swelling on them? Was there any signs of injury, blood around vents? A home autopsy or sent out for necropsy can give you the cause of death. How old are they?

Look over their feed, check for any mold or off smelling feed. Water is it clean, has waterer been cleaned regularly?

Check around the run, coop look for any strange looking poo. Look for signs of mold or anything they may have been eating. Any paint or finish peeling away from any surfaces? Do they have access to a compost pile? Any of bedding or nesting material damp, wet smell bad? Any dead rodents been picked at? (Rodent poisons can kill a chicken) There been any insecticide or weed killer sprayed on property? Have they been treated for worms or cocci?

The chicken you have inside any signs of any blood in her poo? Could be cocci and need Corid ASAP.

** check them all over for mites &lice too **

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, they hatched in March this year, I have done nothing different, always keep food and water topped up ect, the 2 dead with out sounding odd they just looked asleep, the other iv got in the house is free from mites as iv had her sat on me every night since and not noticed any, but all she wants to do is sleep, I keep waking her up every half hour or so to force water down her then she will start to drink. As she isn't eating so kinda thought as long as she drinks!! Her poo is runny and green

They do have the run of the garden but not for a few weeks as iv had a company in to treat the grass, (weed kill and fertilise) thinking about it maybe that's what it is? After Kieth the cock died ken the other cock hasn't made any noise I think hes sad that his buddy is gone

Depending on what was used, it can stay in the soil for a while and be quite toxic to chickens. Watch the others for signs of sickness and see if you can find out what that company used on your grass.

I've been real concerned about weed killer. In fact, that may be what killed my last hen now that I think about it. I know they peck at every weed out there, but I don't know if weed killer would be toxic to birds.

Last edited:
I've been real concerned about weed killer. In fact, that may be what killed my last hen now that I think about it. I know they peck at every weed out there, but I don't know if weed killer would be toxic to birds.

My hubby who uses it for a living reakons it isn't because it doesn't stay active long enough or something. The things they use on lawns other than pesticides aren't residual in the soil. Though they do say not to feed poultry the grass clippings. I still like to fence off areas if I spray though much to his disgust lol. Can't be too careful. You guys probably have different stuff to us in Aus though so it would be worth asking what the active ingredient in their treatment was and doing your own research.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom