DEAD DUCK FOUND WHO DID IT ??? **PICS ARE GRAPHIC**

Better consider the possibility of an owl on this deal. It likely comes back every night likely for rodents and just happened upon your duck..

I don't think it could be an owl... I mean they don't usually just eat the prey's neck and then drop it. It would be sorta a stretch to think this since I'm guessing the ducks are sleeping somewhere covered up.

Anyway, whatever happened to the predator? I hope no more of your ducks died...

I don't think it could be an owl... I mean they don't usually just eat the prey's neck and then drop it. It would be sorta a stretch to think this since I'm guessing the ducks are sleeping somewhere covered up. 

Please note appearance of known owl (Great-horned Owl) kill below.

Cockerel was killed by owl grasping bird by neck with talons while on the ground and delivering cervical dislocation with bill. Owl consumed neck first before swallowing the chickens head whole. The owl began consuming lower down into breast area. Feathers over consumed areas where also consumed which differs from hawks. No slobbery look as typical of raccoon attack which also involves rolling a dead carcass around as it is consumed.

So how did the capture of the killer go ??? Sure hope you never lost any more ducks.
I did not loose anymore ducks I did loose a hand full of chickens though. Knock on wood it's been going good have not lost anymore birds in about 1 month. Never did catch the killer though. All of the kills where the exact same way,

Last edited:

No i did not loose anymore ducks i did loose some chickens but nothing in at least a month now.

I can leave fresh carcasses out continuously yet most predators will take a break and leave them alone for a while. They have concerns in addition to eating that often forces them to eat elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom