dead duck

gibmom

Hatching
May 17, 2015
I have a small flock of 5 golden hybrid ducks. I am babysitting 10 mallards : 6 drakes and 4 hens. When I went out to put them in their night time cage, one of the drakes was dead. He was torn up. I had them in a fenced area separate but within view of my girls. I didn't see signs of a predator. I'm sad and I know the girls who own the birds will be crushed.(They are gone for the holidays) Any thoughts?

Gibmom

Check the pen thoroughly for any holes, even something that seems to small. weasles can get into the smallest of cracks. It really could be anything, but check for holes, whatever it was will come back

Ok. It's an electric fence but it wasn't turned on. So I shouldn't assume the drakes killed him? I've never seen a weasel here. We have raccoons but I've never seen one out during the day. My ducks are really loud when they're upset but I didn't hear anything from them.

Ok. It's an electric fence but it wasn't turned on. So I shouldn't assume the drakes killed him? I've never seen a weasel here. We have raccoons but I've never seen one out during the day. My ducks are really loud when they're upset but I didn't hear anything from them.
@gibmom
Have you noticed any of the drakes ganging on on another? Years ago I had a Muscovy drake kill another Muscovy drake but I have had several since and even though they fight non have killed another since that one time. Could have been an illness also they can hide sickness so well so keep close watch on the rest. And could have been a pred also did you notice any blood or wounds? you'd have to lift feathers to find wounds unless there was alot of blood. You said belly up?

He had a gaping hole in his side. The drakes had been fighting some. They seemed tense. It is hard to believe the drakes did it, but what predator would kill one bird in broad daylight and leave the dead behind and not get any other bird? Would a hawk do that?

He had a gaping hole in his side. The drakes had been fighting some. They seemed tense. It is hard to believe the drakes did it, but what predator would kill one bird in broad daylight and leave the dead behind and not get any other bird? Would a hawk do that?
It does sound more like a predator and possibly a hawk since it would only take down one duck and could have gotten scared off before it had a chance to eat much. We have a Predator and prey thread here why not go there and see if anyone can pin it down for you, but be wary what ever did this will come back.

Back
Top Bottom