dead duck :(

I have heard that raptors pluck the feathers from the breast /body of the bird and feed from there. My beloved Dr. T was killed in broad daylight last Friday. No frenzy at 'murder' scene, looked to be quick, right next to his pool - he was on his back, breast plucked of feathers and breast partially eaten. Otherwise intact. again daylight, and there have been hawks hanging around - but he was a BIG duckie. Thoughts? There have also been two huge peacocks hanging around.
I don't think peacocks would kill and eat a duck, sounds like a hawk to me or possibly a mink but I am not sure if minks come out in day light. So sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
In early October my 2 khaki campbells were just gone. No sign of my drake, and my duck's breast was in the yard and feathers were everywhere from her. It looks like she was literally pulled through the fence. Any thoughts on what got mine? Again no sign of my drake anywhere, no feathers, nothing, only parts were found of my duck. Oh ya, it also ate 11 of the 18 eggs that my duck was sitting on.

In early October my 2 khaki campbells were just gone. No sign of my drake, and my duck's breast was in the yard and feathers were everywhere from her. It looks like she was literally pulled through the fence. Any thoughts on what got mine? Again no sign of my drake anywhere, no feathers, nothing, only parts were found of my duck. Oh ya, it also ate 11 of the 18 eggs that my duck was sitting on.
I'm so sorry that had to have been horrible to find, raccoons are notorious for pulling ducks/chickens through fencing, Thats why if possible it's best to use hardware cloth up about 2 to 3' all a round your other fencing to keep anything from sticking their arms through and doing what you found, if during the day time I have no idea because raccoons mostly come out at night. also if in a pen you need to put up something over the top if leaving your ducks out at night, much safer to lock them up during nighttime though when most preds are on the prowl. since so many eggs were eaten, sounds like it could have been a mama raccoon and babies.

There is something over the top, and it was at night. This spring if I get more ducks (which mom will probably fall in love with another pair at the feed store again) I will do something so that a raccoon can't stick his arms in there.
If there was something over the top how'd it get the eggs? Honestly the best way top protect your ducks when you get more is to have a good sturdy night time house for them, plenty of ventilation and a door that locks.

Alright, we sectioned off part of the dog run with chicken wire and put an old dog house in it, we were going to put a wooden roof over it before winter but we just had chicken wire, so the duck was in the dog house and the drake was probably sleeping outside the dog house. So the raccoon had to have actually opened the gate a bit and have gone in there. (with our investigation that morning we realized the gate was not secure)

Alright, we sectioned off part of the dog run with chicken wire and put an old dog house in it, we were going to put a wooden roof over it before winter but we just had chicken wire, so the duck was in the dog house and the drake was probably sleeping outside the dog house. So the raccoon had to have actually opened the gate a bit and have gone in there. (with our investigation that morning we realized the gate was not secure)
Thats too bad, we learn from our mistakes sometimes with heart break, but learn we do. I lost a duckling this summer because I forgot to close the gate and one of my dachshunds got it, It has taken me a long time to get over that one. We both know what we have to do from now on to protect our feathered friends. I wish you all the best when you get your new ducklings.
smile.png

Thanks! I know now to double, triple, quadruple check the gate is tight before going inside for the night. I'm sorry about your duckling, it's hard to cope when animals die and you think it's your fault. Last spring my horse collicked and we almost lost her because I fed her to much, everyone says that it wasn't my fault but I know it is... I'm just glad that we didn't lose her because I would carry that around for the rest of my life.

Back
Top Bottom