Dead ducklings

How do you know that this duckling wasn't ready to hatch? There are three at least like this one. What caused them to die in the shell? I am totally new at trying to hatch out ducks, so any information would be awesome!

I only moved them into the crate, then carried the crate to the other pen, which is maybe 20 feet away in the same building. I didn't handle the eggs roughly, that I know of. I picked them up and put them in the hay in the crate pretty much individually. Did I do something wrong???
It still had quite a bit of yolk on it. I'm really not sure, maybe something with the temp....

No, I think you did it as well as you could. How long do you think the hens were off the eggs during this time?

Oh, and thank you for the link!
You're welcome, I hope it helped!
smile.png

I cannot tag anyone, could someone please tag dotknott?
Sure!
wink.png

@dotknott

It still had quite a bit of yolk on it. I'm really not sure, maybe something with the temp....

No, I think you did it as well as you could. How long do you think the hens were off the eggs during this time?

They were only off the eggs for maybe 5-10 minutes, at most, when /i moved them. When they were in the other part of the coop, one or both would go get a quick drink and food, but I don't think they were ever off for too long.

I am doing a quick search for chick dead-in-shell and this showed up on https://www.beautyofbirds.com/deadinshell.html

"Special Note about Duck / Goose Eggs: Dave Holderread in his book, 'Storey's Guide to RAISING DUCKS" recommends that duck / goose eggs be sprayed or sprinkled with warm water to prevent the egg membranes from drying out and becoming tough during the hatch (potentially resulting in "dead-in-shells). He recommends spraying or sprinkling these eggs with warm water (about 100 degree Fahrenheit) once each day from day 4 to 26. In nature, the hen will get off the eggs and into the water at least once a day to feed and drink. She will then return to the nest and continue to brood the eggs with her wet plumage - naturally wetting down the eggs."

That is an interesting note. Problem is, how do I keep the pen from getting sopping wet if I can provide her with water so she can get in and get wet? It may be too late for this hatch, but it is something for me to remember for next time.

I am doing a quick search for chick dead-in-shell and this showed up on https://www.beautyofbirds.com/deadinshell.html

"Special Note about Duck / Goose Eggs: Dave Holderread in his book, 'Storey's Guide to RAISING DUCKS" recommends that duck / goose eggs be sprayed or sprinkled with warm water to prevent the egg membranes from drying out and becoming tough during the hatch (potentially resulting in "dead-in-shells). He recommends spraying or sprinkling these eggs with warm water (about 100 degree Fahrenheit) once each day from day 4 to 26. In nature, the hen will get off the eggs and into the water at least once a day to feed and drink. She will then return to the nest and continue to brood the eggs with her wet plumage - naturally wetting down the eggs."

That is an interesting note. Problem is, how do I keep the pen from getting sopping wet if I can provide her with water so she can get in and get wet? It may be too late for this hatch, but it is something for me to remember for next time.
Oh, you weren't letting the hens bath? You could put a kiddie pool outside their pen and then walk them out there daily.

That is old info.....Lots of people hatch Duck eggs without wetting the eggs daily....I myself included.....I have 10 in the incubator and all have piped the external cell and will hatch within hours...

I have no real answers....Tag this person

@WVduckchick or @RavynFallen.....

They are fantastic help......

Cheers!

@Just Fluff a couple of questions... Did you give the eggs to the hens at one time, or did they lay them over time, then start sitting on them?

How warm/cold is it where you are?

Just a couple of observations... My momma duck got rid of an egg, I think because she knew the duckling inside was dead. I found the egg in the pool, just a couple of days before the rest hatched. Mommas have the instinct to know if the eggs are viable or not. She will likely get off the eggs once all of the viable ones have hatched. If she is still on them, then I'd leave them until she is done with them.

The dead ones may have had problems, and she may have killed them in a "mercy" type way. If there are others thriving, then I'd trust her instinct. Some mommas have been known to kill babies, but if she hasn't hurt the others, maybe the momma that you removed did it.

Best of luck, I hope the rest make it.

That is old info.....Lots of people hatch Duck eggs without wetting the eggs daily....I myself included.....I have 10 in the incubator and all have piped the external cell and will hatch within hours...

Cheers!
Well, that all depends on if they are under a hen or not... If they are in an incubator then you have a water source in it already, but under a hen they have to get there humidity from somewhere else.

Cheers!

Well, that all depends on if they are under a hen or not... If they are in an incubator then you have a water source in it already, but under a hen they have to get there humidity from somewhere else.

That makes no sense at all.....you can hatch Duck and chicken eggs the same way in the same incubator on the same settings or hatch under a broody and she supplies the exact and proper heat and humidity to her eggs.....Ducks do not need water to hatch eggs.......

Cheers!

That makes no sense at all.....you can hatch Duck and chicken eggs the same way in the same incubator on the same settings or hatch under a broody and she supplies the exact and proper heat and humidity to her eggs.....Ducks do not need water to hatch eggs.......

Cheers!
If you research it you will see that many people who hatch ducklings under a chicken will take a wet wash cloth and whip a little water on her breast for the extra humidity that duckling require.

I do not intend to make an argument out of this so if you disagree with me that is perfectly fine....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom